merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 10, 2014, 01:10:33 PM
Some of those surnames are very common.

In Spain and America, sure. But it would be telling in those who left for the Mahgreb or the Ottoman Empire.

Iormlund

Quote from: merithyn on February 10, 2014, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2014, 01:45:35 PM
Guillermo is indeed on the list.

:w00t: :yeah:

I get to be in the EU!!

I'm guessing you'll have to meet other requirements. Such as speaking Ladino. Siege can teach you, he'll have no trouble getting his passport if this ends up being the new law.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2014, 01:55:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 10, 2014, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2014, 01:45:35 PM
Guillermo is indeed on the list.

I get to be in the EU!!

I'm guessing you'll have to meet other requirements. Such as speaking Ladino. Siege can teach you, he'll have no trouble getting his passport if this ends up being the new law.  :P

I took high school Spanish. Is that the same thing? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2014, 01:41:26 PM
My maternal grandma's name is also on the list. It's a pretty clear case of converso name though, so I've always figured I had either Jew or Mudejar ancestry (maybe both).

Same here, got a converso surname myself.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on February 10, 2014, 01:31:37 PM
Then she can claim Spanish citizenship, and then both you and your kids could have it as well. Welcome to Spain.  :hug:

:hmm:  Juggling three different passports may get confusing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

It's probably hard to find a Spaniard with no converso ancestry after all these centuries.

Quote from: merithyn on February 10, 2014, 01:57:22 PM
I took high school Spanish. Is that the same thing? :unsure:

Just close enough to be understandable. Ladino is kind of archaic Castillian mixed with Hebrew and the languages of places where the exiles fled to (Turkish, Bulgarian, Arabic ...).

Zanza

Pff, I'll just claim my birthright and move to Mallorca on my German passport.

Admiral Yi

Has anyone done any genetic testing of current Spaniards to ascertain the different weights of Berber, Vandal, Celt, etc?

Grinning_Colossus

That would be difficult, because first you'd have to establish a genetic baseline for those ethnic categories. For instance, given that Celtic culture was evidently transmitted to the British Isles indirectly by trade and cultural contact rather than by colonization, the French would be more genetically 'Celtic' --insofar as they're descended from the first Celtic-speakers-- than the Irish.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
Has anyone done any genetic testing of current Spaniards to ascertain the different weights of Berber, Vandal, Celt, etc?

It seems to be still dominated by the original Celtiberian inhabitants.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 10, 2014, 03:04:58 PM
That would be difficult, because first you'd have to establish a genetic baseline for those ethnic categories. For instance, given that Celtic culture was evidently transmitted to the British Isles indirectly by trade and cultural contact rather than by colonization, the French would be more genetically 'Celtic' --insofar as they're descended from the first Celtic-speakers-- than the Irish.

No shit?  I didn't know that.  Then what were aboriginal Britons and aboriginal Irish?  A completely separate linguistic/ethnic group from Celts and Germans?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2014, 02:58:13 PM

Yes.  0% Berber.  Next question  :mad:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Unless the Basques are also Celtiberians, R1b3 isn't a Celtiberian gene, it's a gene that's common where the Celtiberian culture existed.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 10, 2014, 03:13:03 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 10, 2014, 03:04:58 PM

No shit?  I didn't know that.  Then what were aboriginal Britons and aboriginal Irish?  A completely separate linguistic/ethnic group from Celts and Germans?

I'm not sure that there's a consensus on that, but as far as I know the prevailing theory is that Europeans are mostly descended from groups of Near Easterners who colonized Europe after they discovered agriculture. Indo-Europeans were a linguistic group that developed new horse-riding technology that let them spread their language the same way that the Turks and Germanic tribes did -- by establishing themselves as a ruling class rather than replacing the majority population (and in the case of the British Isles by indirect means, given that there's no archaeological evidence of a Celtic invasion).