News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 01:27:57 PM
Because I have too much time on my hands, I checked the records.

Had the event list been the same as Calgary, the US would have had 8 medals in Sochi. Broken down as follows:

Alpine Skiing: 5 medals
Bobsled: 2 medals
Luge: 1 medal

We had the following medals in Sochi in post Calgary disciplines:

Freestyle skiing: 7
Snowboarding: 5
Skeleton: 2
Short Track: 1

We had the following medals in new competitions in Sochi in post Calgary disciplines:

Bobsled: 2 (both new women's event)
Figure Skating: 2 (ice dancing, and team event)
Ice Hockey: 1 (new women's event)

Yes the addition of Freestyle skiiing & snowboarding events have led to a very good haul for both the US & Canada. Money & Viewers for the IOC.

Alpine skiing is boring as fuck to watch.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

We shouldn't get too comfortable, in a generation those events will be dominated by Asians just like diving and gymnastics are. Well, the ones that aren't races.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 02:00:57 PM
We shouldn't get too comfortable, in a generation those events will be dominated by Asians just like diving and gymnastics are. Well, the ones that aren't races.

I doubt it. We compete well in women's gymnastics. The Chinese in particular dominate diving because no one else does it (which is part of why they put so much effort into it). We have roughly a zillion young people trying to do tricks on snowboards. I think that system will produce better results than having a very few handpicked athletes training in a Chinese system.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 02:00:57 PM

I think the Europeans will cut into our freestyle skiing and snowboarding edge.

It is odd to me that the Europeans dominate Alpine skiing as much as they do. I think they do better at developing top talent.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

I have jumped off diving boards hundreds of times in my life, never been on a snowboard.  :huh:

Anything which involves judging how perfectly somebody contorts their body seems to be increasingly dominated by Asians.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 02:15:22 PM
I have jumped off diving boards hundreds of times in my life, never been on a snowboard.  :huh:

Anything which involves judging how perfectly somebody contorts their body seems to be increasingly dominated by Asians.

It comes from having to fit into those tiny living spaces and recycling tanks.

Grey Fox

You live in the south.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

You guys will love this;  after watching the Olympics, my 7 year old niece wants to try ice hockey.  Next week, US Hockey is offering a "suit-em-up-strap-em-on-try-it-out" camp for the lil' tykes, and she's jacked up for it.

I'm going to have Marty McSorley as my 7 year old niece.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2014, 02:59:49 PM

You live in the south.

Sure, but Dorsey said nobody else dives beside the Chinese. It's pretty much a natural thing to do at the pool.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2014, 02:59:49 PM

You live in the south.

Sure, but Dorsey said nobody else dives beside the Chinese. It's pretty much a natural thing to do at the pool.

I've never witnessed people diving in a competitive way like they do in the Olympics. I don't know anyone who dives as an athlete. Cannonballs and bellyflops to splash people outside of the pool are the pinnacle of normal pool skills.

Maybe that is similar to an 7 year old doing basic tricks on a snowboard, but I think people with snowboard aptitude are treated a bit differently than a person who can dive without making a big splash. You go on the slopes and parents and instructors are cultivating young snowboards and skiers similar to baseball and basketball players. I don't see that in swimming pools with divers (with swimmers, yes). Maybe that is my lack of experience though.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
You go on the slopes and parents and instructors are cultivating young snowboards and skiers similar to baseball and basketball players.

Is that really very common though? Seems all the cases you hear about it, the parents were involved in the sport as well.

Admiral Yi

I would say people "who go on the slopes" at all are very much a minority to begin with.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2014, 03:47:23 PM
I would say people "who go on the slopes" at all are very much a minority to begin with.

It's an elitist sport, more so than even golf.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 03:46:05 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
You go on the slopes and parents and instructors are cultivating young snowboards and skiers similar to baseball and basketball players.

Is that really very common though? Seems all the cases you hear about it, the parents were involved in the sport as well.

I think it is, if you are a kid in the Rockies or Alps. And your parents have some money. Obviously that is going to be a minority of people.

All I know is that I've been skiing a few times and there are a lot of young people out who are skiing and snowboarding and apparently taking it very seriously. Maybe my impression is warped by there not being a huge number of ski resorts so a somewhat rare hobby is concentrated in just a few places.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2014, 03:57:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2014, 03:47:23 PM

It's an elitist sport, more so than even golf.

Yes and no. It is an expensive holiday for a couple of weeks. But then the prices for a two week or season pass in a lot of areas are not so different, and obviously if you go regularly once you buy the equipment you don't have to shell out every trip.

I met some guys in Colorado a few years back that worked their asses off as roofers during the summer, saved their money, and then took winters off to ski. I think they were like 4 guys living in a room, but they were making it work.