News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Two questions, why does Denmark suck? Sweden, Norway, and Finland all finished top 20, Denmark got zilch. Also, why are there a million speed skating events.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2014, 12:16:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2014, 12:00:48 PM
Canadians care a lot about hockey.

And the Dutch care a lot about long track speed skating, the Norwegians care a lot about cross country skiing -  I wonder if you notice a trend here?

It was just a note on how excitable you all seem in the last few posts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2014, 12:23:42 PM
Two questions, why does Denmark suck? Sweden, Norway, and Finland all finished top 20, Denmark got zilch. Also, why are there a million speed skating events.

Why are there a million track & field events in the Summer games?

But still, I am sure there is ultimately some amount of "medal-inflation" involved.  But also, the more events out there, the better the chances are for some smaller country to win some medals.

Zanza

sbr

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2014, 12:23:42 PM

NBC paid a thousand billion dollars for broadcast rights and wants needs more content.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 23, 2014, 12:05:11 PM
I'm glad the US sorta fell on its face this Olympics.

Seems we're doing better, used to be a dozen medals was a good winter haul.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 12:39:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 23, 2014, 12:05:11 PM
I'm glad the US sorta fell on its face this Olympics.

Seems we're doing better, used to be a dozen medals was a good winter haul.
just this year, there are 12 new events...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

For comparison, in Calgary the Soviets won 29 medals without the home advantage. We got 6.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 12:59:44 PM
For comparison, in Calgary the Soviets won 29 medals without the home advantage. We got 6.

The Soviets had the Soviet system. Also, so many of the new events that have been added are US oriented events. All the snowboarding and freestyle skiing, for example. Plus adding women's events really helps us because we foster women's sports better than almost anyone.

It would be interesting to see what our medal count would have been if we only had the events that were in Calgary.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Because I have too much time on my hands, I checked the records.

Had the event list been the same as Calgary, the US would have had 8 medals in Sochi. Broken down as follows:

Alpine Skiing: 5 medals
Bobsled: 2 medals
Luge: 1 medal

We had the following medals in Sochi in post Calgary disciplines:

Freestyle skiing: 7
Snowboarding: 5
Skeleton: 2
Short Track: 1

We had the following medals in new competitions in Sochi in post Calgary disciplines:

Bobsled: 2 (both new women's event)
Figure Skating: 2 (ice dancing, and team event)
Ice Hockey: 1 (new women's event)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2014, 12:28:15 PM
It was just a note on how excitable you all seem in the last few posts.

Thats what happens when you win gold in dominating style in the most important event at the Winter Olympics.

Eddie Teach

And all 6 of the medals we had there were on ice skates- this year was indeed really bad for our speed and figure skaters. But why focus solely on those events?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2014, 01:37:27 PM
Thats what happens when you win gold in dominating style in the most important event at the Winter Olympics.

What, I think we've kept it in check in talking about our country's glorious women's slalom win.  :huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2014, 01:37:27 PM

What, I think we've kept it in check in talking about our country's glorious women's slalom win.  :huh:

:D

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 01:39:17 PM
And all 6 of the medals we had there were on ice skates- this year was indeed really bad for our speed and figure skaters. But why focus solely on those events?

I wouldn't focus on just the old events. I don't think snowboarding is in any way less valid than speed skating. I just think that if we are comparing medal counts we have to take into account that in 1988 the sport list was much smaller and the sports added have more of an American focus.