Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

America sucks.  I expect a bronze.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 03:50:34 PM
America sucks.  I expect a bronze.

WTF?

We have the last two silver medals, and went to overtime in the last gold medal game on the opponent's home ice. So far in this tournament we destroyed Slovenia and Slovakia and beat the Russians on their home ice.

It looks like our 3 game path to gold is Czech, Canada, and Finland/Russia/Sweden. That isn't an easy road to a gold (or even a medal at all). But America doesn't suck.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Right, so we lose to Canada in the semis and win the consolation.  Bronze.

Grey Fox

USA either wins gold or get upsets by the Czechs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Russians seem to be getting a little chippy with the Norgies.  I'd love to see a fight here, especially since it would make CC wet his pants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Hmm... Two Jets playing for the Czechs, compared to one Jet playing for the US...

Go Czech Republic!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 03:57:50 PM
Right, so we lose to Canada in the semis and win the consolation.  Bronze.

Okay, but you said we suck.  :ultra:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2014, 04:06:13 PM
Hmm... Two Jets playing for the Czechs, compared to one Jet playing for the US...

Go Czech Republic!

And just a few minutes ago you were talking about Canada needing to face high level competiton.  :P

Syt

The German women's curling team didn't qualify for Sochi, so we miss out on seeing Stella Heiß. :(

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2014, 04:00:56 PM
I'd love to see a fight

Its always the lowest common denominator the ruins things.

MadImmortalMan

I haven't been watching the Olympics but CNBC has been preempting Cramer in order to show curling so that's good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 18, 2014, 04:27:49 PM
I haven't been watching the Olympics but CNBC has been preempting Cramer in order to show curling so that's good.

When I first heard that the some of the Olympics would be on CNBC I imagined ticker tapes of the value of medals going by the bottom of the screen.

When I heard they would be on MSNBC I imagined Al Sharpton coming on after every event where the US did not win gold and explaining that it was the fault of George W. Bush.  Then there would be panel discussions about white privilege and the winter Olympics.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2014, 04:15:02 PM
The German women's curling team didn't qualify for Sochi, so we miss out on seeing Stella Heiß. :(

Very nice.  :)

Curling used to be a game for overweight old people to play.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 04:46:11 PM
Curling used to be a game for overweight old people to play.  ;)

We were laughing about that around here just yesterday.   How times have changed.

edit:

Here is a funny photo from a 1968 Brier - notice the sweeper with the smoke hanging out of his mouth.  Now thats an athletic move!

http://blindrivercc.blogspot.ca/2013/03/wednesday-open-8-ender.html

Syt

"Nelli Zhiganshina and Alexander Gazsi of Germany compete in the ice dance short dance figure skating competition at the Iceberg Skating Palace, on February 16, 2014."

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.