News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2014, 09:11:10 PM
We've had successful Olympic games even when we lost the men's basketball. Likewise, Russia has had way too much success overall to pin it all on hockey.

Ok, if you insist that the Russians dont really care about hockey I dont really care enough to try to convince you otherwise.  But I will point out your logical error of equating the American love of basketball - nowhere near the top sport in the US - with the Canadian or Russian love of hockey.

ie - you dont really get it. :P

Eddie Teach

I don't get your* obsession with hockey, but you don't really have the experience of being competitive in the meta-contest, Vancouver aside. Russians do. I'm pretty sure if they had the national attitude that hockey makes or breaks the games for them, they couldn't have won so many medals in other sports.

*Despite the fact you personally seem to prefer skiing and basketball.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Nobody really likes basketball.  It's just something that certain people endure to try and prove their manhood, like binge-drinking or baseball.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2014, 09:20:05 PM
I don't get your* obsession with hockey

Dude, if you have been paying attention at all during the last oh 8 years or so, I hate hockey.  But I do know that Canadians and Russians are very passionate about it.

QuoteNobody really likes basketball.  It's just something that certain people endure to try and prove their manhood, like binge-drinking or baseball.

I can understand why people who could never play a sport would hate it.  Probably why hockey is so popular - at a basic level it takes very little skill to play at an introductory level and still score goals.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2014, 09:13:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2014, 09:11:10 PM
We've had successful Olympic games even when we lost the men's basketball. Likewise, Russia has had way too much success overall to pin it all on hockey.

Ok, if you insist that the Russians dont really care about hockey I dont really care enough to try to convince you otherwise.  But I will point out your logical error of equating the American love of basketball - nowhere near the top sport in the US - with the Canadian or Russian love of hockey.

ie - you dont really get it. :P
I don't think Russians care as much about hockey as you ascribe it to them.  It's not even the most popular sport in Russia;  soccer is (which is ironic, as Russians are pretty terrible at it).  I'm sure Russians would be somewhat annoyed if they don't win the hockey gold medal, but to pin the success of the games on that one medal is just silly.  Another factor is that for Soviet Union, Olympics are a way to prove the superiority of their system, and thus winning medals across the multitude of disciplines is what sends the most effective message to its subjects.

PDH

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2014, 09:34:35 PM
Nobody really likes basketball.  It's just something that certain people endure to try and prove their manhood, like binge-drinking or baseball.

You come back and tell me that when I am not drunk and posting and I will give you what for!

Ok, I will give you the baseball bit, but basketball is Spring's gift to mankind.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 16, 2014, 10:04:14 PM
I don't think Russians care as much about hockey as you ascribe it to them. 

You are a little out of touch Comrade.  When Putin visited Canada House he is reported to have said  'Good luck, except in hockey'

DGuller

And obviously a man barely in touch with his own sanity is perfectly in touch with what Russian people think.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 16, 2014, 10:12:16 PM
And obviously a man barely in touch with his own sanity is perfectly in touch with what Russian people think.

I didnt want to bring up the fact that accountants are unlikely to be in touch with the passions of a nation - but I will go there if I must.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2014, 10:13:22 PM

I didnt want to bring up the fact that accountants are unlikely to be in touch with the passions of a nation - but I will go there if I must.
That was a little uncalled for, don't you think?

alfred russel

Regardless of the importance Russians put on hockey, their team might be in trouble. Results so far:

Russia 5 Slovenia 2 - Can't really beat your chest about this
Russia 2 USA 3 - Yes a classic and close game, but a loss
Russia 1 Slovakia 0 - The most alarming game. This was 0-0 and went to a shootout. Slovakia lost to Slovenia 3-1 and the US 7-1. They blow.

Probably the best showing for Russia is a shoot out loss to the US, who was on paper probably the 4th best team entering the tournament. It may be better for Russia to not get the bye as they need to work some things out. I'm going to be interested in the probable Russia - Finland quarterfinal game (Russia's play in game is against Norway, I can't imagine Russia dropping that).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2014, 10:13:22 PM

hey, leave the other accountants out of it!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2014, 10:03:31 PM
Dude, if you have been paying attention at all during the last oh 8 years or so, I hate hockey.  But I do know that Canadians and Russians are very passionate about it.

I was using the plural you, for Canada. I hoped the note made that clear. And no, I don't pay any attention to the hockey thread. Or the Canadian politics thread, if you've expressed your hockey hate in there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 16, 2014, 08:01:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2014, 07:47:47 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 16, 2014, 06:37:53 PM
Likewise: pics?

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/team-bosnia-herzegov-athletes?sport=AS&q=

Not the greatest of shots.  She looked way fucking better during the opening ceremony.  Beautiful smile.
:hmm: Did you forget to wear your glasses again?

Passport pictures are rarely a person's best.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall