News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2014, 12:23:08 PM
Yeah it is pretty funny how cool and refreshing 27C feels in a Texas Summer.  That is what I generally have my AC set to.

Way too toasty.  A smoooooth 72 degrees for me when I'm there.  It goes up to 80 in the summer and 60 in the winter when I'm not there.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 14, 2014, 01:35:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2014, 12:23:08 PM
Yeah it is pretty funny how cool and refreshing 27C feels in a Texas Summer.  That is what I generally have my AC set to.

Way too toasty.  A smoooooth 72 degrees for me when I'm there.  It goes up to 80 in the summer and 60 in the winter when I'm not there.

72?  I would have to put on a coat. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:14:01 PM
Never mind.  Someone threw out the word "racist" so it's pointless to continue discussing.

What is the word you would use when, absent any other evidence, someone expects that there would be a measurable difference based only on race?

Admiral Yi

PRC

Canada looking like it's coming together nicely vs. Austria at the start of the third. 

What Canadian goalie gets the start against the Finns?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 01:36:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:14:01 PM
Never mind.  Someone threw out the word "racist" so it's pointless to continue discussing.

What is the word you would use when, absent any other evidence, someone expects that there would be a measurable difference based only on race?

I agree the word "race" is not helpful.

But I think there is a potentially interesting discussion and research that can be done in looking at why certain traits arose in certain areas and not others, and what effects those traits might have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 01:44:24 PM
"Extrapolation."

Should we fund a study on whether people of Koren ancestory are more stupid than the general population? :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 01:51:57 PM
Should we fund a study on whether people of Koren ancestory are more stupid than the general population? :hmm:

Fund whatever you want to.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2014, 01:51:27 PM
But I think there is a potentially interesting discussion and research that can be done in looking at why certain traits arose in certain areas and not others, and what effects those traits might have.

Sure, I agree that can be useful and has been useful for things like research into sickle cell anemia.  But it is just silly to suggest that people in Africa have a hard time with the cold because it is so hot there but Europeans are better in the cold because it is cold there unless of course you have never been to Spain or Italy in the summer.

derspiess

CC used the word "race", not me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:55:57 PM

CC used the word "race", not me.

Yeah, you when you generalized to Europeans and Africans over eons you didnt mean race at all

derspiess

Yeah, you do sling a lot of shit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:57:51 PM
Yeah, you do sling a lot of shit.

When there is lots of shit being piled up the temptation to throw it back is sometimes overwelming.

derspiess

I was just asking a question.  Not sure how that amounts to a shitpile worthy of your screechy response.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 02:12:02 PM
I was just asking a question.  Not sure how that amounts to a shitpile worthy of your screechy response.

Screechy?

You're the one whining and refusing to carry on the conversation because your delicate sensibilities have been offended.