How easy was it for you (non-native) speakers to pick up English?

Started by Queequeg, January 31, 2014, 05:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Jacob argued in a post a few days back that getting English as a Danish-speaker was inherently easy, and that once you get an ear for it it's relatively easy to understand even without formal education.  I found this difficult to believe, given that I have some difficulty in understanding just about all the Danish I've ever heard even with a reasonably deep linguistic background. 

How about romance-language speakers? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Even Danes find it hard to learn Danish. Not a joke.

I find English almost impossible to understand. And trying to express myself is a nightmare.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2014, 06:11:34 PM

I find English almost impossible to understand. And trying to express myself is a nightmare.
So would Swedish be easier?  Icelandic sounds prmeval to English ears. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on January 31, 2014, 07:06:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2014, 06:11:34 PM

So would Swedish be easier?  Icelandic sounds prmeval to English ears.

Easier to learn? My guess is yes. Easier for a Swede to learn English? My guess is no.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 07:06:20 PM
I learned English when I was around 3 so I don't count.

How did you manage to get an econ degree without basic numeracy?

Admiral Yi

:bleeding:  Are you trying to make Boner's ruff joke look good in comparison?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 07:53:50 PM
:bleeding:  Are you trying to make Boner's ruff joke look good in comparison?

You're the one who said you don't count...

Eddie Teach

Katmai lost all his fingers to frostbite, so he doesn't count either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

All I did was to prepare for the exam.  I did a listening session once a week.  Wrote an essay once a week.  Spoke English in front of the class once a week.  Did 2-3 written tests once a week.  This went on for 5 years. 

I still don't think I've picked up English. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

QuoteAll I did was to prepare for the exam.  I did a listening session once a week.  Wrote an essay once a week.  Spoke English in front of the class once a week.  Did 2-3 written tests once a week.  This went on for 5 years.

I still don't think I've picked up English. 
Sounds like what almost every kid in Japan does.
Yet you know English. They don't. :hmm:
Do you think English's status as a very common/official language in HK helped you out?

Quote from: Queequeg on January 31, 2014, 05:46:53 PM
Jacob argued in a post a few days back that getting English as a Danish-speaker was inherently easy, and that once you get an ear for it it's relatively easy to understand even without formal education.  I found this difficult to believe, given that I have some difficulty in understanding just about all the Danish I've ever heard even with a reasonably deep linguistic background. 

How about romance-language speakers? 
I could believe it. Swedish and Dutch are pretty easy to get a grasp of once you've established the basics. Its just where it goes off into advanced Germanic vocabulary that it becomes tough.
Plus in the case of English its something you have to do. Unlike Swedish and Dutch where using the language is the challenge, not avoiding it.

I am really jealous of people from north europe who speak English as a second language. Its like they got a free foreign language. 
When I was at school studying French it always remained something theoretical and abstract. It might as well have been Latin. It had no relevance in life whatsoever. English in the world however....
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Understand much English, I speak goodly. Hello Joe, what do you know?

(hopefully MB will get the reference)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM