News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cyborg, or not to Cyborg?

Started by Tonitrus, January 28, 2014, 10:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you implant/replace your healthy fleshy bits with cybernetics?

Jack me up!
8 (38.1%)
I like my fleshy bits, thank you.
0 (0%)
Only if the fleshy bit broke (i.e. therapeutic replacements).
12 (57.1%)
Only if the new parts are based on Jaron's parts.
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Tonitrus

Pretty simple question.  Would you willingly replace perfectly good body parts, or implant cybernetic enhancements (lets presume they are bug/defect free) into your brain/head?

Obviously, full-limb replacements are likely ridiculous science fiction...sure, you could replace your arm with a giant metal appendage, but then the rest of your bodily support system would suffer.  So we're likely talking something that would have to be more like more subtle artificial muscle/ligament enhancements, and even then, would likely require a comprehensive, full-body enhancement (to support whatever your new super-strength/speed is trying to do)  And then also, of course, there is a functional computer-brain interface...i.e. sliding chips into you head to grant instant knowledge/data/vocabulary.

Would you go cyborg proactively/voluntarily?  Only if you normal parts failed due to age/injury?  Would you feel like you're trading in part of your natural soul by implanting a CPU into your noggin?

Legbiter

Depends on how many humanity points it would cost. I can't afford to go down too much in the EMP stat.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

I think a datajack is just 0.5 essence points, so that might be worth it. Cybereyes too. :nerd:

The Brain

Give me some perfectly good body parts and I'll think about it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

I don't recommend it right now.
Wait until nanotechnology matures and nano brain interface s become available and you can use enhancements without disrupting surgery.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

Yes to enhance, but only as long as the look and feel remained human.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Of course, I'd have to be careful because the bloody NSA will try to hack into my head, but hey.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

I already have metal plates and 17 screws in my right leg.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I dunno, man.  Are these American-produced UNION YES! prosthetics, or are they overseas-produced prosthetics?  I have supply chain concerns.

Monoriu

If it is for replacement of defective body parts, then my answer is hell yes.  If there is nothing wrong with my natural part, then the answer is no.  The reason being I don't think cybernetics are sufficiently developed in my life time to warrant the risk.  That's not a factor if said natural body part is no longer working anyway. 

CountDeMoney

A penile replacement with deployable JDAM tail fins would be kinda cool.

Ideologue

Replace it all.  Turns out the new flesh sucks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 07:50:33 PM
A penile replacement with deployable JDAM tail fins would be kinda cool.

For ripping open an orifice? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.