News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Paul Verhoeven Movie?

Started by Queequeg, January 27, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite film by director Paul Verhoeven?

Turkish Delight
1 (2.3%)
Keetje Tippel
0 (0%)
Soldier of Orange
5 (11.4%)
The fourth Man
0 (0%)
Robocop
12 (27.3%)
Total Recall
12 (27.3%)
Basic Instinct
1 (2.3%)
Showgirls
3 (6.8%)
Starship Troopers
8 (18.2%)
Hollow Man
0 (0%)
Black Book
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)
I'm a joyless motherfucker who can't so much as admit that Robocop is wonderful
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2014, 08:44:10 PM
Highest quality- Total Recall
Most entertaining- Showgirls
Suppose I should see again- Robocop

Most formative for me: Basic Instinct
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

1 Total Recall
2 RoboCop
3 Starship Troopers (anybody who still thinks this isn't a parody of fascism still doesn't get it)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

RoboCop, after not seeing it for a while, really stands up.  And it seems like half the baddies/best characters from Twin Peaks are in there!
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

Who besides George Clooney's cousin?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Starship Troopers is such a ham-handed parody of fascism that I don't see how people find it good or even interesting.  Robocop does the same thing, but much better (which is one of the reasons I didn't realize ST was even a Verhoeven movie).  Satire really only works when it is subtle or outlandish.  Satire that screams "this is satire" doesn't work (at least for me).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Total Recall for the one liners.

GIF DEES PEOPLE AYRE
SEE YOU AT DA POTTY RICHTA
CONSIDDADATTADIVOHSE
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2014, 09:26:31 PM
Starship Troopers is such a ham-handed parody of fascism that I don't see how people find it good or even interesting.  Robocop does the same thing, but much better (which is one of the reasons I didn't realize ST was even a Verhoeven movie).  Satire really only works when it is subtle or outlandish.  Satire that screams "this is satire" doesn't work (at least for me).

What wasn't humorous was how dumbass kept chasing Denise Richardson like an imbecile, when Dina Meyer was so much hotter and chasing him.  Talk about outlandish.

Despite its ubercampiness, it does get bonus points for Michael Fucking Ironside, as with all things that have Michael Fucking Ironside.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DontSayBanana

Can't decide between Total Recall and Robocop.  Total Recall was the better movie of the two, but Robocop toys pretty much filled up my playtime as a kid. :wub:

God, I miss the '90s- when parents could get their 9-year-old kids Robocop and Predator toys and not have to worry about getting dragged in for child study team meetings.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2014, 09:57:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2014, 09:26:31 PM

What wasn't humorous was how dumbass kept chasing Denise Richardson like an imbecile, when Dina Meyer was so much hotter and chasing him.  Talk about outlandish.

Despite its ubercampiness, it does get bonus points for Michael Fucking Ironside, as with all things that have Michael Fucking Ironside.

I liked the part when all the Space Mormons got slaughtered.
and the horse you rode in on

Drakken

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on January 28, 2014, 12:04:21 AM
I'm erect. Why aren't you erect?

Is that a seduction community pick up line?

edit: Better would have been does the seduction community now use that as a pick up line? -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.