News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Paul Verhoeven Movie?

Started by Queequeg, January 27, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite film by director Paul Verhoeven?

Turkish Delight
1 (2.3%)
Keetje Tippel
0 (0%)
Soldier of Orange
5 (11.4%)
The fourth Man
0 (0%)
Robocop
12 (27.3%)
Total Recall
12 (27.3%)
Basic Instinct
1 (2.3%)
Showgirls
3 (6.8%)
Starship Troopers
8 (18.2%)
Hollow Man
0 (0%)
Black Book
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)
I'm a joyless motherfucker who can't so much as admit that Robocop is wonderful
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Queequeg

Threeway tie between Robocop, Soldiers of Orange and Black Book for me, might vote for Soldiers of Orange because Robocop will get it's share of votes. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Bad poll, so can't answer.

I enjoyed Flesh+Blood more than even Robocop; certainly more than Soldier of Orange.

You just don't see many well-done 30 years war movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

BTW, I didn't realize that Starship Troopers was a Verhoeven movie.  His movies have some flaws (sometimes serious ones), but that one is so unrelentingly bad that I never thought for a moment it might be one of his.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

voted before i read the last option  :(

Ed Anger

I forgot about Total Recall. Younger Sharon Stone.....
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2014, 07:40:07 PM

I enjoyed Flesh+Blood more than even Robocop; certainly more than Soldier of Orange.

Flesh + Blood isn't set during the 30 Years War. 

sbr

I was fully prepared to come in with my standard 'I haven't seen any of these' but was surprised to see that I had seen a few.

Close call between Total Recall and Robocop.  I had to go Robocop though.

Liep

Starship Troopers. With Total Recall as a close second. ST is just the right amount of bad, at least it has entertained me many times.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Robocop is watchable. Total Recall, Starship Troopers, and Showgirls are crap.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on January 27, 2014, 07:47:13 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2014, 07:40:07 PM

Flesh + Blood isn't set during the 30 Years War.

I could have sworn it was, but you are right, and I was just mis-remembering its setting.  It was set in the Italian Wars a hundred+ years earlier.

Don't see many good movies in that setting, either.  :P

Bayraktar!

Grinning_Colossus

Starship Troopers was meant to be bad. It was conceived as the sort of movie that a fascist society like the one depicted in the film would produce as a propaganda piece.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ed Anger

I liked Doogie Howser, space Gestapo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 27, 2014, 07:59:11 PM
I liked Doogie Howser, space Gestapo.

The better gag would've been Doogie Howser, SS.

Anyway, fuck Verhoeven.  He's not a household name like ROBERT FUCKING ZEMECKIS

Eddie Teach

Highest quality- Total Recall
Most entertaining- Showgirls
Suppose I should see again- Robocop
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?