News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Milk Revolution

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 07:36:27 PM
There are many white people that don't drink milk, many Indians not regularly eating curry...etc.

That's right.  :)

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 07:33:24 PM
Jacob: eating certain food is a behavior.

There are many white people that don't drink milk, many Indians not regularly eating curry...etc.
I don't think derspiess is saying he wouldn't hire any Indian because they all smell like curry, but that he wouldn't hire a particular Indian because he smelt strongly of curry (or sour milk, as his scenario actually stated). would you hire someone who smelled strongly of B.O.?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on January 27, 2014, 07:44:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 07:33:24 PM
Jacob: eating certain food is a behavior.

I don't think derspiess is saying he wouldn't hire any Indian because they all smell like curry, but that he wouldn't hire a particular Indian because he smelt strongly of curry (or sour milk, as his scenario actually stated). would you hire someone who smelled strongly of B.O.?

Jacob the whole time has been talking about the "broadly/associated with entire ethnic group" element...while it appears derspiess has been focused on if just one individual stinks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 07:50:21 PMJacob the whole time has been talking about the "broadly/associated with entire ethnic group" element...while it appears derspiess has been focused on if just one individual stinks.

Yup.

I'm not saying "I won't hire this one guy because he really stinks" is racist.

I'm saying "I won't hire white people/ Southern Europeans/ Indians/ [whatever ethnic group] because they stink", even if you occasionally can smell the milk/garlic/curry/[whatever other characteristic food item you don't partake of yourself] on some members of that ethnic group is.

Admiral Yi

That's not where the conversation started. :mellow:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 08:36:17 PM
That's not where the conversation started. :mellow:

You're right. Mea culpa.

I wish to change my initial position as follows:

I'd consider it racist to not hire someone because you detect a faint whiff of a culturally specific food or spice about them. If the smell is particularly pungent, it wouldn't be racist not to hire them, but you are probably best advised not to talk too much about how that person really stinks.

In the case of derspiess and Admiral Yi both of whom can safely not be hired for any or all reasons.

Queequeg

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 26, 2014, 10:25:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2014, 10:00:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2014, 08:50:19 PM
I don't think I ever realized that lactose intolerance was the predominant state.

I thought everyone knew that.

My family heritage is Dutch, and dairy farmers.  I didn't realize it either.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."