Arizona GOP censures McCain for 'liberal' record

Started by garbon, January 26, 2014, 09:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 27, 2014, 06:51:37 PM
but that wasn't an ad hominem

Agreed.  There is a difference between making an ad hom argument and being a pointlessly rude fuck.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 06:55:45 PMAgreed.  There is a difference between making an ad hom argument and being a pointlessly rude fuck.

i dunno, there are posters here that use offensive language toward others, but they're (usually) not considered "being pointlessly rude fuck"

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: LaCroix on January 27, 2014, 06:51:37 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 12:01:49 PMLook, g, we all know that trolling and pointless ad hominem attacks is just "what you do" around here, but is this really necessary?

but that wasn't an ad hominem

But it was though, I think -- 'the argument belongs to DSB; therefore, it is moronic.'
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 27, 2014, 07:03:51 PM
i dunno, there are posters here that use offensive language toward others, but they're (usually) not considered "being pointlessly rude fuck"

What's your point?  Are you taking exception to my implication that grumbler is a pointlessly rude fuck?

LaCroix

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 07:05:05 PMBut it was though, I think -- 'the argument belongs to DSB; therefore, it is moronic.'

he didn't rest his point against dsb through the "moronic" statement. that was more a tacked on comment

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: LaCroix on January 27, 2014, 07:13:40 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 07:05:05 PMBut it was though, I think -- 'the argument belongs to DSB; therefore, it is moronic.'

he didn't rest his point against dsb through the "moronic" statement. that was more a tacked on comment

Ah.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2014, 08:25:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 26, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 26, 2014, 06:34:43 PM
Yeah, well, Eugene V. Debs never got enough votes,

Maybe you should reflect on that when contemplating rejecting voters from the Democrats.  :P

That's certainly what the Democrats think when they dispute having anything to do with Ide.  He's a one-man "Democratic" party, distinct from the Democratic Party that actually does shit instead of just talking.

Hey, if you're more influential than me, it's only because someone fucked up and gave you a position of authority over children.  And tenure.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 07:10:53 PMAre you taking exception to my implication that grumbler is a pointlessly rude fuck?

that depends. if a community directs certain language at each other fairly often and offense isn't taken by that language, then why would grumbler (a member of the community) be singled out for being rude (offensive) for using that same language?

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on January 27, 2014, 07:21:02 PM
that depends. if a community directs certain language at each other fairly often and offense isn't taken by that language, then why would grumbler (a member of the community) be singled out for being rude (offensive) for using that same language?

You almost have the answer in your question. If you ponder it a bit more, you may figure it out.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 06:55:45 PM
Agreed.  There is a difference between making an ad hom argument and being a pointlessly rude fuck.

Exactly, as you would be in a position to know; that's why, I think, I seldom see you make ad homs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 07:10:53 PM
What's your point?  Are you taking exception to my implication that grumbler is a pointlessly rude fuck?

That you fail to see the point doesn't make my "rude" statement pointless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2014, 07:24:02 PMYou almost have the answer in your question. If you ponder it a bit more, you may figure it out.

you're right, i probably should have used "offensive attitude" instead of "offensive language"  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 27, 2014, 07:21:02 PM

The feedback loop.  If I call you a dickhead, and you cry like a baby, I shouldn't do it any more.  If I persist, after you've made it clear that you're not enjoying the intended joke, then I'm being a pointlessly rude fuck.

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 07:05:05 PM
But it was though, I think -- 'the argument belongs to DSB; therefore, it is moronic.'

that's not at all what an ad hom is, though, as I pointed out earlier.

An ad hom goes like this (not an actual example from languish):

Minsky:  "Making rich people poorer doesn't make poor people richer."

Ide: "You only say that because you are rich."

Insulting someone isn't an ad hom, it is an insult.  Claiming that someone says moronic things, and when called out simply argues that you were foolish for taking him seriously, isn't an ad hom, it is an insult (if even that).

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 07:31:50 PMThe feedback loop.  If I call you a dickhead, and you cry like a baby, I shouldn't do it any more.  If I persist, after you've made it clear that you're not enjoying the intended joke, then I'm being a pointlessly rude fuck.

has dsb cried like a baby?