News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
Both the air and the naval really suffer from lack of ledger.  I've lost count of how often my fleets wound up doing nothing because I didn't notice it lost its sea zones.  And collecting all those air wings that are two air zones behind the front lines can get old as well.

Yeah, it's not so much that I can't tell what the air wings are doing, it's just a pain to find and change the orders for the wings when I want them doing something else.

Zanza

Meh, my game with Japan was ruined by the utter stupidity of Germany and Italy. Italy had way too many troops in Africa and couldn't defend its heartland. Germany was extremely slow in Poland and declared on the Benelux before finishing Poland.

DGuller

Has someone ever had a game where Italy didn't lose Rome to the British early on?

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2016, 03:32:56 PM
Has someone ever had a game where Italy didn't lose Rome to the British early on?
When I played Germany, I just garrisoned Italy with all those troops they wanted to give me.

frunk

Italy has never lost Rome in any of my games.

DGuller

Is there any way to get rid of old planes?  I conquered the Allies, and I inherited something like 100 different types of planes.  These planes are useless to me, but they're slowing the game down whenever I want to create a new airwing.  I can't even seem to create airwings that deliberately use old planes, just so that they would be cleaned out through combat.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 26, 2016, 03:34:24 PM

Italy has never lost Rome in any of my games.

It happened in each of my games

HVC

How can Russia's bombers pass through my air controlled zones and bomb me behind the lines? Am I doing something wrong?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 30, 2016, 07:09:23 AM
How can Russia's bombers pass through my air controlled zones and bomb me behind the lines? Am I doing something wrong?

I think you need to control their destination and you need intercept fighters in that destination zone to shoot them down. 

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Coming back from a two week vacay and returning to the game. Still stuff that confuses me. Particularly with upgrades/ reinforcements and recrutiment.

For instance if I research from a Panzer I to a Panzer II, I go into my production queue and switch my Panzer 1 to Panzer II. Immediately it will say something like Upgrading 1000 units. Does this mean my recruitment of new units is now on hold until my Panzer 1s are all upgraded? I don't want that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

frunk

Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2016, 11:23:37 AM
Coming back from a two week vacay and returning to the game. Still stuff that confuses me. Particularly with upgrades/ reinforcements and recrutiment.

For instance if I research from a Panzer I to a Panzer II, I go into my production queue and switch my Panzer 1 to Panzer II. Immediately it will say something like Upgrading 1000 units. Does this mean my recruitment of new units is now on hold until my Panzer 1s are all upgraded? I don't want that.

It means your in field units currently have 1000 of the old design.  Depending on how you prioritize  the new design will go either to in field units or the recruits first.  Only if you are running a deficit in total units of that type (not the new design) would it potentially slow down recruitment.

Josephus

Quote from: frunk on July 04, 2016, 12:11:06 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2016, 11:23:37 AM

It means your in field units currently have 1000 of the old design.  Depending on how you prioritize  the new design will go either to in field units or the recruits first.  Only if you are running a deficit in total units of that type (not the new design) would it potentially slow down recruitment.

How/where do I effect prioritization?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

frunk

Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2016, 01:37:39 PM

How/where do I effect prioritization?

In the Recruit and Deploy Tab the reinforcement and upgrade panes have three circles in the upper right.  That determines the upgrade and reinforcement priority for units in the field.  For each division being trained they have similar circles that determine their priority.  If you edit a division design they also have priority circles.  If you click on the Settings button on a theater they also have the priority circles.

I think the hierarchy between these different priority settings goes Recruit and Deploy Tab, Theater setting and then Division design, but I'm not sure.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum