Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

A roadmap worked so well for Anthem. :P

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on May 05, 2021, 02:29:09 AM
A roadmap worked so well for Anthem. :P

Unlike EU4 it was DOA, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

The roadmap for Imperator didn't save that game either.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2021, 02:56:10 AM
The roadmap for Imperator didn't save that game either.

Well, that was only post-launch, after Johan overcame his resistance to change what he thought was his ideal game, though.

Then again, communicating such a roadmap pre-launch would probably just open them up to the usual "releasing barebones games as DLC vehicles" criticism even more than usual  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2021, 03:16:13 AM
Then again, communicating such a roadmap pre-launch would probably just open them up to the usual "releasing barebones games as DLC vehicles" criticism even more than usual  :hmm:

Agreed.

Really, I think the idea of a roadmap is a nice one, I just think unfortunately it won't solve many/any of their issues.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Are there examples of games where a roadmap actually improved things noticeably? :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on May 05, 2021, 04:33:57 AM
Are there examples of games where a roadmap actually improved things noticeably? :hmm:
Truck Simulator? :unsure:

Zanza

SimCity?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2021, 12:50:14 AM
Going forward, I think it would behoove Paradox to have clear road maps for their games, ideally on release. "This is the game we want to release. These are the DLC we aim to publish in Year 1, these are our mid and long term goals." In the last 5 years their DLC policy seems to have been haphazard and random and not very well thought out or part of a larger concept.
WHy? Their MO for decades has been to publish semi-functional games becaue of deadlines or because it was too hart to fix everything up front, then complain about people complaining.  If it were free it'd be one thing.  But they make a complex, highly intricate game and charge money for it, they need to not fuck it up.  Or at least not make excuses and get bitchy when people complain about the money they spent for a product that is not completely ready.
PDH!

Josquius

A road map would only delay people's purchasing.
Which is nice for the customer but not their bank.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Foxhole - but that doesn't really count since it is still in development

garbon

QuoteWe originally planned to have Poland get an off-map reactor to essentially get them control of 1 nuke during play as an exile nation. This to reflect their role in the nuclear project, but we were already a bit on the fence on if this was too immersion breaking for the gameplay purpose, and it seemed many of you thought so too so we removed the off-map reactor and moved the focus to the industry branch.

Syt

Turns out some alt-hist fantasies are too silly even for the HoI4 crowd.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

HoI4 presentation at PDXCON: "We wanted to make sure the game has little micromanagement."

*adds overly detailed ship and tank designers  to the game*
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien