News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

The pointless equipment minutiae that really gets me are all the nation-specific basic equipment.  Support equipment produced in USSR is not the same as the one produced in Germany, and that is not the same as the one produced by Switzerland.  Is it any different in any way?  The flags on it are different, but that's it, but if you capture a lot of equipment in one way or the other, your inventory is going to be polluted with 20 different kinds of support equipment.  I'm not a programming expert, but I find it hard to believe that having to constantly sort through long lists of equipment doesn't contribute to the lag as the game tries to figure out which equipment to send where.

Razgovory

It's annoying with aircraft because you need to wade through that bullshit to sit up new air wings.  Sometimes I spend 30 minutes trying to give it all away.  I do like the division designer, and the ship designer is okay.  In both situations it's nice to design something with a special focus like mine layers.  But tanks?  I don't normally even notice much of a difference between different types of tanks in the first place.  Most of the time I don't bother with heavy tanks at all.  I always seem to have a bunch of tanks in my inventory that I'm not even using.  You know what would be a nice feature?  The ability to queue orders like you can with ships.  I'd like it so I can order 200 naval bombers and production stops after I reach that point.  Instead I tend to forget about it and only notice a few hours later that I now have 2000 naval bombers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2021, 02:05:46 AM
I entirely get that the forums have become quite the cesspool at times - which is a startingly contrast to the endless fanboism previously seen at Paradox.

I do wonder though is it all a cultural change of the posters or have Paradox's priorities fallen out of sync with fans.
Probably a bit of both. And maybe the dark side of the fanboism.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2021, 12:06:06 PM
The pointless equipment minutiae that really gets me are all the nation-specific basic equipment.  Support equipment produced in USSR is not the same as the one produced in Germany, and that is not the same as the one produced by Switzerland.  Is it any different in any way?  The flags on it are different, but that's it, but if you capture a lot of equipment in one way or the other, your inventory is going to be polluted with 20 different kinds of support equipment.  I'm not a programming expert, but I find it hard to believe that having to constantly sort through long lists of equipment doesn't contribute to the lag as the game tries to figure out which equipment to send where.
I'm pretty sure you can delete equipment in the same screens where it shows the stuff.

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on May 03, 2021, 08:35:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2021, 12:06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you can delete equipment in the same screens where it shows the stuff.
Yes, you can, but there are still a couple of issues.  Deleting 73 versions of a rifle is annoying in itself, and you'll have to repeat the process frequently.  It's also not an optimal move, unless you've already essentially won the game and don't care.  I may be short of support equipment, so I may still make use of a box with a French flag on it because my factories just aren't producing enough boxes with a German flag on it.  The point is that it's a complication that's probably adding CPU cycles and clutter to the game, and has literally no material effect on anything important.

crazy canuck

Waiting for the latrine design DLC before pulling the trigger. 

Syt

Reading up a bit on the toxicity debate on the HoI4 forums specifically, this seems to mostly stem from the reaction to the dev diary covering the Polish decision tree. Which can lead to the restoration of the Polish Kingdom (including a joint Polish-Romanian Kingdom), have Poland try to acquire colonies, and in an extreme case gives them an off map nuclear reactor.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/hoi4-dev-diary-poland-focus-tree-rework-part-2-2.1468818/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2021, 10:33:00 AM
What are good current strategic/operational WW2 games that cover the entire war? Strategic Command and War Plan are fine, but a bit on the beer & pretzels side of things.
I was going to say Command HQ https://classicreload.com/command-hq.html but then noticed you'd said 'current'.
PDH!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

ulmont

Syt

At this point, wouldn't it have been better to say "Sorry, we messed up", refund the DLC, take it off the store, roll back the changes and re-release the DLC once it's actually functioning?

Also, if after 8 years of adding complexity your complaint is "this shit's hard to test, yo" ... maybe take a step back and reconsider whether it's time for a more drastic change.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Going forward, I think it would behoove Paradox to have clear road maps for their games, ideally on release. "This is the game we want to release. These are the DLC we aim to publish in Year 1, these are our mid and long term goals." In the last 5 years their DLC policy seems to have been haphazard and random and not very well thought out or part of a larger concept.
—Stephen Jay Gould