President's ability to make recess appointments may be severly curtailed.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 22, 2014, 09:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 26, 2014, 10:53:31 AM
Not surprising, given the egregiousness of the violation of the law by Obama.

Or Bush and Reagan.  I think Ronald Reagan might have had more then any other president.  You were singing another tune back in 2005.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2014, 01:02:04 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 26, 2014, 10:53:31 AM
Not surprising, given the egregiousness of the violation of the law by Obama.

Or Bush and Reagan.  I think Ronald Reagan might have had more then any other president.  You were singing another tune back in 2005.

This was the first time ever that a President attempted a recess appointment when the Senate was not in recess. No President has ever tried to advance such an untenable position.

Razgovory

But they weren't actually convening were they?  It was a parliamentary trick.  Will you be defending Democrats when they do the same thing in the future?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2014, 01:13:54 PM
But they weren't actually convening were they?  It was a parliamentary trick.  Will you be defending Democrats when they do the same thing in the future?

Democrats invented this to use against Bush. I wasn't complaining the (because recess appointments were meant to fill gaps between sessions when Congress was out for several months, not for this) and I don't remember you complaining then, so who is the hypocrite?

If it is up to the President to decide when Congress is really in session the President could simply ignore the Senate altogether and simply pronounce the Congress isn't in session whenever he wants somebody appointed.

It was always a laughable proposition that the President has the authority to determine when Congress is in session.

Valmy

Glad to see the guy we elected to curtail executive abuses has been checked in his rapid expansion of executive abuses.  USA!  USA!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2014, 01:54:28 PM
Glad to see the guy we elected to curtail executive abuses has been checked in his rapid expansion of executive abuses.  USA!  USA!
Speaking of, so when is he going to close Gitmo? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 26, 2014, 01:20:25 PM

Democrats invented this to use against Bush. I wasn't complaining the (because recess appointments were meant to fill gaps between sessions when Congress was out for several months, not for this) and I don't remember you complaining then, so who is the hypocrite?

If it is up to the President to decide when Congress is really in session the President could simply ignore the Senate altogether and simply pronounce the Congress isn't in session whenever he wants somebody appointed.

It was always a laughable proposition that the President has the authority to determine when Congress is in session.

I do remember you complaining.  I remember you saying that the Democrats were breaking the law and abusing the filibuster.  I pointed out that similar things happened during the Clinton administration, and you said that  they did not, they were merely delaying Clinton appointments and suggested that perhaps Democrats were just delaying Bush's appointments.  Then you bailed.  I believe this was around 2005.  Sadly the records of this board only go back to 2009. 

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2014, 04:03:09 PM

I do remember you complaining.  I remember you saying that the Democrats were breaking the law and abusing the filibuster.  I pointed out that similar things happened during the Clinton administration, and you said that  they did not, they were merely delaying Clinton appointments and suggested that perhaps Democrats were just delaying Bush's appointments.  Then you bailed.  I believe this was around 2005.  Sadly the records of this board only go back to 2009.

WTF are you talking about?  We were talking about recess appointments, not the filibuster.

Razgovory

They go hand in hand.  The recess appointments are because of the filibuster.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2014, 05:26:42 PM

No.  Particularly in this case, where none of those appointments were filibustered. Indeed, Obama never even submitted the questionnaires to the committee, which meant the Democrats hadnt even scheduled hearings yet.

dps

recess appointments were meant to fill gaps between sessions when Congress was out for several months

This is a key point, I think.  In modern times, Congress is never really in recess for any great length of time.  Plus, the idea is to fill vacancies that come up while Congress isn't in session, not allow the President to fill them with people the Senate had refused to confirm as soon as Congress leaves town.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 26, 2014, 06:27:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2014, 05:26:42 PM

No.  Particularly in this case, where none of those appointments were filibustered. Indeed, Obama never even submitted the questionnaires to the committee, which meant the Democrats hadnt even scheduled hearings yet.

Why do you suppose that is?