Suspected terrorist yanked out of theater

Started by viper37, January 22, 2014, 11:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Ah, sorry, it should have read "suspected pirate" ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/man-interrogated-by-fbi-for-wearing-prescription-google-glass-at-the-movies-2014-1

At AMC Easton 30 last weekend, a guest was questioned for possible movie theft after he was identified wearing a recording device during a film. The presence of this recording device prompted an investigation by the MPAA, which was on site. The MPAA then contacted Homeland Security, which oversees movie theft.

About an hour into the movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit), a guy comes near my seat, shoves a badge that had some sort of a shield on it, yanks the Google Glass off my face and says "follow me outside immediately". It was quite embarrassing and outside of the theater there were about 5-10 cops and mall cops.

... What followed was over an hour of the "feds" telling me I am not under arrest, and that this is a "voluntary interview", but if I choose not to cooperate bad things may happen to me (is it legal for authorities to threaten people like that?). I kept telling them that Glass has a USB port and not only did I allow them, I actually insist they connect to it and see that there was nothing but personal photos with my wife and my dog on it. I also insisted they look at my phone too and clear things out, but they wanted to talk first. They wanted to know who I am, where I live, where I work, how much I'm making, how many computers I have at home, why am I recording the movie, who am I going to give the recording to, why don't I just give up the guy up the chain, 'cause they are not interested in me. Over and over and over again.
'err.  Pirates all operate in a well organized network, similar to drug dealers, I guess.

Homeland security in charge of movie theft?  Wasn't HS created to prevent another 9/11 terrorist attack on US soil?  How did it came its mandate to process movie theft concerns?  Isn't this a little exagerated? And about that voluntary interview, when the guy offers the agents to access his USB device, shouldn't they proceed to check it out, or were they worried about some kind of virus/trojan?

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Good. Teach people what happens when you adopt Google glass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quoteprompted an investigation by the MPAA, which was on site.

I was thinking, hey, they sound like they'd be cool to work for.  And then I checked them out.

QuoteTITLE:                         Intelligence Analyst II
DEPARTMENT:         Content Protection Intelligence Center
LOCATION:                Sherman Oaks, CA                                   
REPORTS TO:          Director, Content Protection Intelligence Center
FLSA:                         Non-Exempt

Under the direction of the Director, Content Protection Intelligence Center (CPIC) the Intelligence Analyst II will collect, analyze and disseminate intelligence in support of World Wide Content Protection policies, activities and enforcement operations. Manage the two-way flow of intelligence with global programs and member studios to meet strategic reporting needs, as well as determine collection strategies and prioritize target selection with members, vendors, and inter-industry and government representatives.

Key Responsibilities

Support the WWCP operations with advanced research methodologies and products. Solicit and understand the CP strategic concerns and intelligence requirements of customers in member studios, area country programs and CPO's, LEA and Litigators worldwide.
    Contribute supporting research and CP expertise to the development and communication of successful MPAA strategies.
    Propose new collection and research strategies and investigative tactics within CPIC, CPO and Country Programs' anti-piracy programs and products.
    Operational security in mind while balancing the paramount need for protection of sources and methods with the operational and enforcement expectations of our members.
    Respond to incoming, and initiate outgoing, communications regarding operational and collection proposals, initiatives, strategies and tactics in a timely and professional manner, adding value through critical thinking and problem resolution.
    Utilize all IS Tools and databases available to enhance the collection, storage, manipulation and analysis of raw CP data and forensics, and to disseminate polished current and finished Intelligence Products. 

Education and Experience Requirements

Bachelor's degree; Master's degree is preferred.
    5-10 years of specialized and relevant intelligence training and analytical experience in all-source intelligence.
    Native language proficiency in Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic or any Asian or other African language is preferred.

Qualifications

Must possess the highest level of work ethics and integrity with the ability to maintain confidential information.
    Strong interpersonal and writing skills, consistent with high level intelligence analysis.
    Strong understanding of cross-cultural communication and analytical challenges of the global market
    Proven open-source research and analysis skills appropriate for operational and strategic intelligence production.
    Extensive technical knowledge of the Internet.
    Ability to communicate in a clear, professional manner.
    Ability to solve practical problems and carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision.

That's some pretty heavy shit just to make film ratings.  :D

jimmy olsen

:huh: I would think the FBI would make a lot more sense than Immigration and Customs. How does it fall under their jurisdiction. :unsure:

http://www.businessinsider.com/man-interrogated-by-fbi-for-wearing-prescription-google-glass-at-the-movies-2014-1#ixzz2rBzUST9U
Quote*Correction: The man initially said he believed he had been detained by the FBI. It turns out they were agents of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Voluntarily my ass. :rolleyes:
I really doubt he would have been just allowed to get up and go.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/feds-pull-google-glass-user-theater-suspected-piracy-2D11967844
QuoteOn Jan. 18, special agents with ICE's Homeland Security Investigations and local authorities briefly interviewed a man suspected of using an electronic recording device to record a film at an AMC theater in Columbus. The man, who voluntarily answered questions, confirmed to authorities that the suspected recording device was also a pair of prescription eye glasses in which the recording function had been inactive. No further action was taken.

An ICE representative confirmed on the phone to NBC News that the man was not detained, and would have been free to go should he have chosen to do so.

NBC News asked how often these "voluntary interviews" take place and how long they usually last. The ICE representative said he would look into that question. We will update this article with any further information provided by ICE.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 22, 2014, 11:28:31 PMVoluntarily my ass. :rolleyes:

why?

CountDeMoney

QuoteNBC News asked how often these "voluntary interviews" take place and how long they usually last. The ICE representative said he would look into that question.

Lolz, Otto has paperwork to do.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 23, 2014, 06:46:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 22, 2014, 11:28:31 PMVoluntarily my ass. :rolleyes:

why?
Because refusing to answer questions about a suspected crime may be interpreted as giving the popo probable cause, and that would allow them to make an arrest.  They'd be wrong to interpret silence that way, but you'd still be under arrest until it got sorted out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

"Am I under arrest?"
"No, we just need to ask you some questions."
"So, if I'm not under arrest, I'm free to go if I wish?"
"Well, yes, but it would be best for everyone if you voluntarily co-operated with us."
"Maybe, but if I'm free to go, I'm leaving."
"Sit back down!  Now you're under arrest."