News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, how's your apartment costs?

Started by Syt, January 22, 2014, 04:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

$650 a month, no utilities included, which amounts to between $100-$200 a month.

I live in a two bedroom though.  It was a lot nicer before--surprise, surprise--the cats fucked it up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 22, 2014, 06:42:08 PM
$650 a month, no utilities included, which amounts to between $100-$200 a month.

I live in a two bedroom though.  It was a lot nicer before--surprise, surprise--the cats fucked it up.

Have you considered getting a bunkie?

Malthus

How can your cats fuck up a place totally devoid of furniture?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2014, 07:05:00 PM

Over 2.5 million house cats are surrendered and needlessly euthanized each year in this country, because their caretakers can't learn how litter box discipline.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2014, 07:07:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2014, 07:05:00 PM

Over 2.5 million house cats are surrendered and needlessly euthanized each year in this country, because their caretakers can't learn how litter box discipline.

Maybe you can learn me how litter box discipline.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2014, 06:51:52 PM

Have you considered getting a bunkie?

Yes, it's actually the reason I got a two-bedroom in the first place.  But my old roommate decided he'd rather stay and live with his mommy.  C'est la vie.  I like the space.  That's the room that's most obviously wrecked anyway.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2014, 07:35:08 PM
Don't fuck with me right how, man.

I'm not, but I'd like a little credit for not surrendering and/or euthanizing my cat when she pissed on my box of MAD Magazines from 1989-1994.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

MAD hasn't been decent since 1982, man.  The piss was deserved.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Currently looking at apartments in downtown Boston. ~$2000/mo rent for a one bedroom.  :yucky:

Monoriu

Management fee (includes security, management of public areas, trash collection): US$270
Electricity: US$100
Property taxes: US$140
Town gas (cooking and bathing): US$25
Water: US$10
Internet: US$25
Phone: US$15
Property insurance: US$5

So around US$600 per month.

Richard Hakluyt

Interestingly low water bill Mono. Is it subsidised or is the water company really efficient?

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 23, 2014, 04:35:30 AM
Interestingly low water bill Mono. Is it subsidised or is the water company really efficient?

Subsidised.  There is no water company, just the government water supplies department.  In theory, the HK government runs the water supplies on a full cost recovery basis.  But any price hike requires approval from the Legislative Council whose members are elected.  Ever since there were elections 20 years ago, it is basically impossible to raise water prices.  It doesn't help that the HK government runs huge and embarrassing fiscal surpluses year after year, and the fiscal reserves have piled up to never before seen levels. 

The government tried to privatise water supplies but it is again impossible due to fear of an increase in water prices and objection from the civil service unions. 

LaCroix

$750/month 2 bedroom with all utilities except electric included. it's actually kind of expensive, but it's located right next to an elementary school and there's a large playground as part of the facilities. it definitely doesn't feel like a $750 apartment :(