Main Menu

So, how's your apartment costs?

Started by Syt, January 22, 2014, 04:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 22, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 10:27:53 AM
Since no one else has said it...

I lise in a free-standing house, not an apartment, like any civilized person should.  :cool:

but it's only free standing by a 2 feet wide gap between you & your neighbors.

:mad: For shame, mister Uppermann lake.

Actually, getting a really big lot was a priority for us - neighbor on one side is 10-12', other side more like 30'.

What else did we compromise on though?  Well we do back onto high power lines, and beyond that a clear view of Edmonton's ring road :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 02:16:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 22, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 10:27:53 AM
Since no one else has said it...

I lise in a free-standing house, not an apartment, like any civilized person should.  :cool:

but it's only free standing by a 2 feet wide gap between you & your neighbors.

:mad: For shame, mister Uppermann lake.

Actually, getting a really big lot was a priority for us - neighbor on one side is 10-12', other side more like 30'.

What else did we compromise on though?  Well we do back onto high power lines, and beyond that a clear view of Edmonton's ring road :(

but your close to Big bear park too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 02:45:40 PM
Are you stalking me? <_<

No, well maybe, I just remember from your moving thread.

Plus you know, facebook friends.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Gay fox being a nosy creepy little fuck.   :yucky:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Malthus

We had a great deal when we were renting - the top floor of a duplex, two bedrooms, big kitchen, living room, library, parking space outside - $850 all included, just north of Bloor West Village. Rent never increased, for a decade.

The reason: the elderly landlords/homeowners lived downstairs, and they mostly spoke Ukrainian - very little English. They just loved my wife to bits (she speaks fluent Ukrainian) and were, apparently, terrified of having to rent to someone who they could not communicate with - or worse, someone who was "challenging" in any way from the POV of elderly, religious Ukranians. Particularly if they were (say) a sarcastic, irreligious, Black gay guy or something.  Garbon, their worst nightmare!  :ph34r:

Anyway, their fear of having to rent to someone like Garbon kept them from ever even mentioning a rent increase.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Some things are worth more than a few dollars of a rent increase.  Sounds like your elderly landlords got a good deal also, Malthus.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on January 22, 2014, 05:30:20 PM
Some things are worth more than a few dollars of a rent increase.  Sounds like your elderly landlords got a good deal also, Malthus.

Yup, it worked out well for them. My wife, in her typical fashion, liked to help them out with stuff and to gossip with them. What finally forced us to buy our own place was having a kid. Mostly, because the apartment had no laundry facilities - that was a dealbreaker.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

The last time I lived in a place with shared laundry facilities, my clothes were constantly being stolen by Mexicans. I would literally see my damn shirts on other dudes the next day. I'll never live someplace again with that setup.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

What about shared sunglasses-washing facilities?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)