Possible California ballot iniative to raise the minimum wage to $10, then $12

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

:lol:  Probably.  But the Souf sho' nuff do make some good eatin's down there.

I'd turn into John Candy from JFK in about 2 months, all fat and sweaty.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I dunno, I've been to ATL.  It's disorienting;  you have all this traffic, but you never see where these people live.  Suburban hell.  At least in New York or Northern Virginia, you can see buildings.  In Atlanta, it's just all road and congestion.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I think you could hack it.  You live in the world's largest insane asylum as it is now;  Alabama would be a cake walk.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 09:43:47 PM
I dunno, I've been to ATL.  It's disorienting;  you have all this traffic, but you never see where these people live.  Suburban hell.  At least in New York or Northern Virginia, you can see buildings.  In Atlanta, it's just all road and congestion.

Well yeah you just described every major southern city there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 09:47:36 PM
I think you could hack it.  You live in the world's largest insane asylum as it is now;  Alabama would be a cake walk.

Does "cake walk" have a different meaning in Maryland? :unsure:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 09:43:47 PM

It's actually kinda nice having to drive a couple extra minutes to get away from major roads when going home, keeps the noise down.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I'm pretty sure I saw where the people I met on the streets of Atlanta live.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2014, 01:13:17 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw where the people I met on the streets of Atlanta live.

Did you talk to them? "hey guys, if you think you have gotten a raw deal in life, I have $142k in student loans after getting a law degree."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

I told one of them that if he didn't stop trying to, I presumed, pickpocket me, that I was going to knock the teeth he had left down his throat.

I did get scammed by one who was posing as a parking lot attendant.  Hey, it was my first time in the city.  I was going to chuck a coke can at her head while I was leaving, but Korea stopped me.
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Here is an interesting piece in the Globe and Mail related to Ontario raising the minimum wage.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/who-pays-for-minimum-wage-hikes-the-poor/article16603374/

Some interesting bits related to the discussion in this thread:

QuoteAbout 9 per cent of Ontario's workers earn the minimum wage and, the report showed, fully 56 per cent of them are "sons or daughters living in the family home." Most aren't poor. You may bump into them on the bus glued to their latest iPhones.

Many other minimum-wage workers live in double-salary households that, together, earn middle-class incomes. Still others are older workers who supplement their pensions. In 2011, only 12.5 per cent of Ontario's low-wage workers met Statistics Canada's definition of poor.

And what happens to these workers when the minimum wage goes up? Typically, they get poorer. This group is largely made up young people living on their own, recent immigrants and adults with a high-school education or less. Employers react to a higher wage by cutting the hours of these low-skilled workers or, increasingly, laying them off and replacing them with machines.