The Black Mamba finally clashed with Bill: David Carradine has died.

Started by The Larch, June 04, 2009, 10:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: saskganesh on June 04, 2009, 11:20:45 AM
he was quite fine in Kill Bill, regardless of his screen time. he was lauded by critics. why the hate?

No hate at all. I just think it would be better to laud his performance in Kung Fu.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: saskganesh on June 04, 2009, 10:22:24 AM
sad. it's being investigated as a possible suicide.

Sounds like one to me.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/04/obit.david.carradine/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

QuoteAmerican actor David Carradine has been found dead, hanging by a nylon rope in a hotel room closet in Bangkok, Thailand, according a Thai police official.

David Carradine became famous in the 1970s after starring in the television series "Kung Fu."

more photos »  Carradine, who became famous in the 1970s when he starred as traveling Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine in the television series "Kung Fu," was 72.

The rope was believed to be from the hotel room curtains, Bangkok Police Lt. Col. Pirom Chanpirom said Thursday.

He said investigators found no sign of forced entry into Carradine's room.

<snip>

RIP
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

RIP.  I even liked Death Race 2000.  Of course, I was 10 when I saw it...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on June 04, 2009, 03:34:45 PM
RIP.  I even liked Death Race 2000.  Of course, I was 10 when I saw it...
It's a shame we didn't see more of him in the new Death Race.  Although the movie would still probably have been terrible.

You have to be in a pretty low place to think that strangulation hanging is a good way out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habsburg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8083479.stm

"Thai police told the BBC a hotel maid found the 72-year-old naked in a wardrobe with a cord around his neck and other parts of his body. "

Oh dear.  :huh:  :scots:

Barrister

Quote from: Habsburg on June 04, 2009, 06:41:13 PM

"Thai police told the BBC a hotel maid found the 72-year-old naked in a wardrobe with a cord around his neck and other parts of his body. "

Is it suicide, or autoerotic suffocation?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habsburg

Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2009, 06:44:54 PM

Stop being coy. 

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2009, 06:44:54 PM

Uh sounds pretty obvious to me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

i read that as other parts IN his body at first :blush:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Slargos

Quote from: Jaron on June 04, 2009, 11:48:47 AM
His best work was in Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

Watch this short clip and tell me it doesn't top ANYTHING he did in Kill Bill, or whatever else..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b6bov4MvlI

Wow. That is some truly atrocious action filming.

CountDeMoney

What a way to go.  More memorable than any flick. :lol:

QuoteThai cops: Carradine's death may be accidental
Officials: 'Kill Bill' star found in closet with ropes tied around neck, genitals

BANGKOK - The body of American actor David Carradine, best known for the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu," was found in a hotel room closet with ropes tied to his neck and genitals, and his death may have been accidental suffocation, Thai police said Friday.

The 72-year-old actor's body was discovered Thursday in his luxury suite at Bangkok's Swissotel Nai Lert Park Hotel. Police initially said they suspected suicide, though Carradine's associates had questioned that theory.

Police Lt. Gen. Worapong Chewprecha told reporters that Carradine was found with a rope "tied around his penis and another rope around his neck."

"The two ropes were tied together," he said. "It is unclear whether he committed suicide or not or he died of suffocation or heart failure due to an orgasm."

Thai police completed an autopsy on Carradine Friday but so far have not released the results.

Dr. Nanthana Sirisap, director of Chulalongkorn Hospital's Autopsy Center, told reporters that the autopsy was conducted because of the "unusual circumstances surrounding Carradine's death," but he did not elaborate.

'Naked, hanging in a closet'
Police Lt. Teerapop Luanseng had said on Thursday that Carradine's body was found "naked, hanging in a closet," and that police at the time suspected suicide.

But one of Carradine's managers, Tiffany Smith of Binder & Associates, dismissed the theory.

"All we can say is, we know David would never have committed suicide," said Tiffany Smith, of Binder & Associates, his management company. "We're just waiting for them to finish the investigation and find out what really happened. He really appreciated everything life has to give ... and that's not something David would ever do to himself."

Carradine had flown to Thailand last week and began work on a film titled "Stretch" two days before his death, Smith said. He had several other projects lined up after the action film, which was being directed by Charles De Meaux.

Carradine was "in good spirits" when he left the United States for Thailand on May 29 to work on "Stretch," Smith said.

"David was excited to do it and excited to be a part of it," she said by phone from Beverly Hills.

Devastated
Filming began Tuesday, she said, adding that the crew was devastated by Carradine's death and did not wish to speak publicly about it for the time being.

Aurelio Giraudo, the hotel's general manager, said Carradine checked into the hotel May 31 and he last saw him June 3. He said Carradine chatted with staff and even played piano a few nights in the lobby as well as flute which the "guests really enjoyed."

"I was a fan. I had a very nice talk with him when he checked in," Giraudo told The Associated Press. "He was very much a person full of life. I mentioned to him that I had seen (the movie) "Crank" with my family and that was the last smile he gave me."

Giraudo said a chambermaid discovered Carradine's body, adding that she knocked and entered after there was no response. Police arrived shortly thereafter.

Carradine, a martial arts practitioner himself, was best known for the U.S. TV series "Kung Fu," which aired from 1972-75. He played Kwai Chang Caine, an orphan who was raised by Shaolin monks and fled China after killing the emperor's nephew in retaliation for the murder of his kung fu master.

Carradine also appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby.

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill." Bill, the worldly father figure of a pack of crack assassins, was a shadowy presence in 2003's "Kill Bill — Vol. 1." In that film, one of Bill's former assassins (Uma Thurman) begins a vengeful rampage against her old associates, including Bill.

Malthus

You gotta admit, dying by autoerotic asphyxiation while waiting to begin filming a movie entitled "stretch" is a trifle ironic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2009, 08:40:30 AM
You gotta admit, dying by autoerotic asphyxiation while waiting to begin filming a movie entitled "stretch" is a trifle ironic.
I was talking with my wife about this yesterday.  Which of the two do you think carries a bigger stigma:  Suicide, or dying by accident during freaky sex?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.