100,000 West Virginians Told To Abandon Tap Water due to chemical spill

Started by Phillip V, January 09, 2014, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2014, 10:27:26 AM
How far upstream?

About halfway to WVA. Forgot the name of the place but damn.... It was poor as hell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

It might have been Ashland Kentucky. I just can't remember those times that well anymore.

derspiess

Ed Anger

derspiess

Caliga

City water here actually tastes good (I think I remember hearing it won some award for that once).

When I was a kid I drank the tap water at my grandmother's house in Philadelphia and actually gagged, it tasted so horrible.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on January 14, 2014, 11:42:06 AM
City water here actually tastes good (I think I remember hearing it won some award for that once).

When I was a kid I drank the tap water at my grandmother's house in Philadelphia and actually gagged, it tasted so horrible.

I think Delaware was the only place I lived where tap water could give me heartburn.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Our water is very good.  It also helps that I live just a few blocks below the water shed which is the source of our drinking water.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2014, 09:28:52 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 09, 2014, 11:02:09 PM
leaked from a tank at Freedom Industries

Freedom Industries?

We sell freedom!

Lolz, freedom from regulatory enforcement.  Yay, America.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on January 10, 2014, 07:34:05 PM
Calling it dangerous is a bit over the top. Basically it is soap. Or, at least special industrial bubble soap. Probably not nice to drink, but certainly not arsenic... though it almost certainly contains some fungicide, herbicide and insecticide.

Basically, this is a chemical added to water which is sprayed on piles of coal (and gypsum and other fine grain bulk products) to prevent the coal dust from blowing all over the place (giving everybody cancer). Since water either evaporates, runs off (carrying much of the find dust with it) or freezes in cold termperatures chemicals were added to form a water film over the coal, keeping it moist. This means dust doesn't spread and it keeps the coal from degenerating and/or burning.

It is all round good stuff. It is basically advanced soap.

It's still a chemical, Industry Monkey Boy.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=4915825&KC=&FT=E&locale=en_EP

4-methyl cyclohexane methanol.   NO MORE DISHPAN HANDS