What's the Languish perspective on Gen. Petraeus?

Started by Malthus, January 09, 2014, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Perspectives on his military career, not on his adultery skillz.

Just read a (very positive) account of his career and activities re counter-insurgency in Iraq; the author's perspective was that he basically saved the situation in Iraq, when almost everyone else had run out of ideas. Topical, given that Iraq seems to be falling apart now.

What's the Languish view? Also, why did he move into the CIA rather than getting a military position after Iraq and Afganistan?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

There's a good scene in Kagemusha where Takeda Shingen's senior vassal berates him for being angry at a guy for betraying him. People betray because they perceive it to be in their interest to do so. Taking it personally is for monkeys.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

My views of General Petraeus are very positive. He's had a very good career in the military as far as what I've seen. He was the commander who saved the situation in Iraq by some innovative tactics and ideas during Pres Bush's surge.

grumbler

Petraeus basically wasn't eligible for any more military positions when he retired.  He had already been a Joint Commander (CENTCOM) and so the only position he was technically eligible for after that was Army Chief of Staff.  He lost the competition for that job to General Martin Dempsey (who went on to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) and actually got a kind of bonus tour by taking the head job in Afghanistan.

There are only so many 4-star jobs and slots, so you take your turn and then either join the JCS (service chief or vice-Chairman) or retire.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable on the matter as many here, but my impression is generally positive.

crazy canuck

I think he did very well.  It is a shame that the work he did to unite political groups in Iraq fell apart after he left.

Siege

He was the American version of Julius Caesar. The Soldiers loved him. He could have burned his political capital and marched on Washington to save the Republic and reestablish free-market capitalism. Instead he decided to get a job that would in time open his way to the Whitehouse, and Obama ordered his goons to scoop his emails for any incriminating evidence to take him out.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2014, 12:42:23 PM
Petraeus basically wasn't eligible for any more military positions when he retired.  He had already been a Joint Commander (CENTCOM) and so the only position he was technically eligible for after that was Army Chief of Staff.  He lost the competition for that job to General Martin Dempsey (who went on to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) and actually got a kind of bonus tour by taking the head job in Afghanistan.

There are only so many 4-star jobs and slots, so you take your turn and then either join the JCS (service chief or vice-Chairman) or retire.

That makes sense, though the system appears a bit unfortunate if there is no way of retaining the services of successful fighting generals if they get too senior other than making them Army Chief of Staff, which they may not be suited for anyway.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on January 09, 2014, 02:06:15 PM
He was the American version of Julius Caesar. The Soldiers loved him. He could have burned his political capital and marched on Washington to save the Republic and reestablish free-market capitalism. Instead he decided to get a job that would in time open his way to the Whitehouse, and Obama ordered his goons to scoop his emails for any incriminating evidence to take him out.

*takes a drink*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Quote from: Siege on January 09, 2014, 02:06:15 PM
He was the American version of Julius Caesar.

Along with Douglas MacArthur and Iggy Pop, and yet there are still barbarous Gauls on our Northern Frontier.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2014, 02:37:09 PM
Remind me what the Seebrew clause is please.

I need to fully formalize the LANGUISH DRINKING GAME.

But here is the draft rule:

Siege mentions Obama acting like a dictator( or Nixonian) -1 drink
Siege posts a conspiracy theory - 1 drink
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2014, 02:41:03 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2014, 02:37:09 PM
Remind me what the Seebrew clause is please.

I need to fully formalize the LANGUISH DRINKING GAME.

But here is the draft rule:

Siege mentions Obama acting like a dictator( or Nixonian) -1 drink
Siege posts a conspiracy theory - 1 drink

Looking forward to seeing the rules.