Spain's Princess Cristina charged with tax fraud, money-laundering

Started by jimmy olsen, January 07, 2014, 06:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sahib

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2014, 08:02:36 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on January 08, 2014, 07:51:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2014, 01:19:31 AM
Britain fought in the war, but the British monarch wasn't a candidate for the Spanish throne.

:lol:
There was zero chance of that happening.
I know, that's why I said it was a shame. All those 17th century wars of succession, Spanish, Austrian and Polish and not one with a British candidate.

A Stuart was a semi-serious candidate for the Polish throne at some point
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Queequeg

When was that? Didn't people have to covert to Catholicism to become King of Poland?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Richard Hakluyt

Queequeg

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 08, 2014, 12:29:28 PM
That is hardly a problem for a Stuart  :D
Yeah, I was going to say, I actually thought it was a Legitimist Stuart after the Glorious Revolution, but I'm p. sure that Catholicism was a requirement of the throne, and thus a personal union between Poland and Britain was not likely.  There were actually pretty close political and economic ties because of the Baltic grain trade, though. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on January 08, 2014, 12:28:29 PM
When was that? Didn't people have to covert to Catholicism to become King of Poland?

Jesus is King
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 08, 2014, 12:28:29 PM

Jesus is King

They got a Mexican on the throne in Poland?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"