News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

America's Welfare State fails

Started by Siege, January 08, 2014, 08:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2014, 04:19:52 PM
Whenever I hear this old bromide repeated it makes me think people believe their is a test for causation, like you dip litmus paper in and if it comes out blue you have causation.

Quote unquote proving causation is just the act of attaching a plausible mechanism to an observed correlation and ruling out other plausible mechanisms with correlate similarly with the outcome.
:huh: I thought it was about setting up an experiment to see if the correlation holds up when you manipulate the independent variable.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on January 08, 2014, 08:33:47 AM
Article arguing the failure of the government programs to help the poor.
Instead of attempting to make poverty more comfortable, we should focus on creating wider prosperity. We should end those government policies, such as high taxes and regulatory excess, that inhibit growth and job creation.[/b] We should protect capital investment and give people the opportunity to start new businesses. We should reform our failed government-school system to encourage competition and choice. We should encourage the poor to work, save, and invest for their future.

Let's imagine a country that did all these things.  Taxes are low, little regulation, few barriers to business creation, favorable treatment of captial income, none of these Great Society welfare programs.
We could call that country that United States. That pretty much defines what US economic policy was in the 19th century Gilded Age and really continuing up until the New Deal era.
History suggests that such policies neither reliably eliminated poverty nor guaranteed high levels of employment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 08, 2014, 06:05:28 PM
History suggests that such policies neither reliably eliminated poverty nor guaranteed high levels of employment.

What does those things? Has anything ever worked well for that?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 08, 2014, 05:55:35 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2014, 03:34:18 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 08, 2014, 03:27:42 PM
However, none of the papers seems to analyze the pure existence of an unemployment insurance, merely the effect on when people search for a new job.

You lost me.  That's what we've been discussing: the effect of unemployment insurance on job searches.
Are we actually discussing this?  I think we're discussing whether unemployment insurance helps or hurts the poor.  You're the one who discusses the side effects of the policy without even acknowledging the fact that they need to be compared to the benefits.

Ecometrics Goddamn it!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Somebody hijack this thread, please!

Anybody!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

I'd say it was 18 inches long. I named it U-235.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 08, 2014, 07:12:00 PM

If there was everybody would be doing it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2014, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 08, 2014, 07:12:00 PM

If there was everybody would be doing it.

Now let's not exaggerate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2014, 09:44:47 AM

Ok everybody would be doing it where it was politically feasible to do so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2014, 09:45:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2014, 09:44:47 AM

Ok everybody would be doing it where it was politically feasible to do so.

I'm not sure everyone would consider it a priority...unless we are defining everyone very narrowly. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

If the state hires all unemployed people you have no unemployment.