News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Economies in 2028

Started by jimmy olsen, January 08, 2014, 05:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Eventually, China loses their competitive advantages due to being poor and has to slow growth. Though perhaps that won't happen until after they pass us(we'd still have 4x the GDP per capita, after all).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

I find it fishy that France is forecasted to fall from the top ten by its longtime rival, who in the same breath gloats about how they'll finally overtake those naughty jerries.

I am also dubious of Brazil and Mexico's future.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

MadImmortalMan

I'm bullish on Mexico and skeptical on Brazil. Five years ago it was the other way around.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 08, 2014, 06:22:12 AM
I'm bullish on Mexico and skeptical on Brazil. Five years ago it was the other way around.

Because Colorado legalized pot? There's still plenty of other states to fund Mexican criminals.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

France. :nelson:
That we beat them is all that matters.
I can't find a suitably smug smilie sadly :(

Interesting that they forecast such large growth for Japan.

QuoteI'm bullish on Mexico and skeptical on Brazil. Five years ago it was the other way around.
I recall reading an article a few days ago that spoke of BRICs being yesterdays news and MINTs being the new big thing. :shrug:

QuoteI find it fishy that France is forecasted to fall from the top ten by its longtime rival, who in the same breath gloats about how they'll finally overtake those naughty jerries.

I am also dubious of Brazil and Mexico's future.
This isn't Britain doing the forecasting. Britain overtaking Germany is quite widely predicted due to the UK's population growth and Germany's population decline.
I've no clue what happened to France here.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 08, 2014, 06:26:35 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 08, 2014, 06:22:12 AM

Because Colorado legalized pot? There's still plenty of other states to fund Mexican criminals.  :hmm:

Mendocino County still grows enough to supply six or seven Colorados.

Brazen

I'm going to the launch of the World Economic Forum's Global Risks 2014 report next week, I'll report back.

Also: Daily Fail again? :bleeding:

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2014, 06:29:00 AM
This isn't Britain doing the forecasting. Britain overtaking Germany is quite widely predicted due to the UK's population growth and Germany's population decline.
The last years Germany's population grew due to net migration overcompensating excess deaths.
That table also assumes that Britain's economy grows at nearly three times the pace of Germany's economy. 

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on January 08, 2014, 07:15:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2014, 06:29:00 AM
The last years Germany's population grew due to net migration overcompensating excess deaths.
That table also assumes that Britain's economy grows at nearly three times the pace of Germany's economy.
it also assumes that britain still exists by then :p

Zanza

For India to roughly quadruple during that time period, they would have to grow at an annual pace of 9.5% or so. They are nowhere near that growth.

Iormlund

UK growth of over 3% uninterrupted for 15 years sounds really unlikely, no matter how many immigrants arrive.

Grey Fox

Mexico from what?! What's the industry producing so much income for them?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

Tourism, oil, cars, electronics and shitty soap operas.

There's a lot of wealth in Mexico, actually. Problem is there's even more poverty.

MadImmortalMan