Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? NFL Playoff thread.

Started by katmai, January 03, 2014, 11:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

As we are now just few short hours away from first wild card game, here is thread to discuss the upcoming Ice Bowl at Lambeau,  Bungles v Bolts, the Track meet in Philly and Colts v Chiefs.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

The ones I'm following are 49ers v. Packers and Eagles v. Saints.  I'd like to see the Packers and the Eagles make it through, but I've got serious doubts:

• The Packers' defense has been pretty much non-existent for at least the latter half of this season.
  • Foles is good, but for all the screeching going on on the Philly stations, he's way overhyped- I seriously doubt he's up to a QB shootout against Brees.

Let's also not forget the proud Eagles tradition of choking- Philadelphians love to blame Andy Reid, but frankly, the Eagles have historically been staffed by a bunch of prima donnas who are terrible at working together.  This is where we're really going to see how Chip Kelly does with the boys in green, and Vick's whining comments from the past week don't fill me with a ton of hope (seriously, they need to ditch him already; he's as bad as McNabb about injuries- pray he doesn't get a hangnail).
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

I'd love for Aaron Rogers to cut a swathe of destruction through the playoffs.  If zone read run-first QBs take over the league it's going to destroy it, in my opinion. 

It's not a racist thing.  Warren Moon, beautiful pocket passer.  Donovan McNab, pocket passer with giant huevos.

That's why I'm rooting for Seattle to boot it.

On a slightly different note, did anyone else hate the back shoulder pass when it first came out?  I thought it was the ugliest thing ever put on an NFL field.  But then I started to realize what an incredibly hard throw that is to make.  35 yards down field, and you have to lead your reciever, but you have to underthrow the lead by 10 yards.  That's some serious physics going on there.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on January 04, 2014, 09:02:15 AM
I'm going to root for the Chiefs, Saints, Neither and Rodgers.

I feel obligated to oppose the Chiefs because Andy Reid. -_-
Experience bij!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2014, 03:33:25 AM
I'd love for Aaron Rogers to cut a swathe of destruction through the playoffs.  If zone read run-first QBs take over the league it's going to destroy it, in my opinion. 

It's not a racist thing.  Warren Moon, beautiful pocket passer.  Donovan McNab, pocket passer with giant huevos.

Look at the playoff QBs....Manning, Brady, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers--all basically pocket passers.

Pocket passing isn't going away.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2014, 10:57:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2014, 03:33:25 AM

Look at the playoff QBs....Manning, Brady, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers--all basically pocket passers.

Pocket passing isn't going away.
I agree, though I'm not sure why run first quaterbacks would destroy the league even if they were as common as Yi feared.  :huh: College football seems to do just fine.

That's a young man's game anyway, they'll have to learn to be a pocket passer eventually as they get slow and banged up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2014, 11:06:57 AM
Rooting for the Eagles.

On the Chip Kelly train, nice.

This weekend I am rooting for the

Eagles- always liked the Eagles for some reason, and they have a lot of players I like, and Chip Kelly
49ers - most likely to beat the Seachickens
KC - I like Reid and Alex Smith; they both got raw deals with their former teams and I would like to see them win at least one playoff game this year.
Cincy - They are really the only team I can see beating Denver and NE.  I don't think they will, but none of the other teams in the AFC have a chance in hell.

Berkut

It's easier to like Chip now that he is coaching a professional team, rather than when he was coaching a college team, but treating it like it was a professional team.

He is just lucky Mike Stoops was nice enough to teach a QB how to play for him... :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

There will always be running QBs in the NFL.  There aren't 32 people capable of being an NFL starting QB around; though I do sometimes wonder how many other border-line HOF QBs there are stocking shelves in a grocery store because they never got a chance.

There are a lot of amazing athletes out there though that can play quarterback decently, and have the ability to run around and make plays.  If you know you won't have a QB that can throw the ball very well, why not try one of those guys?  If you are going to have a guy back there that can't play the position, why not have one who can at least do something, instead of standing there like a statue and getting hit and throwing interceptions.

Running QBs will never be a major factor in the NFL though.  They get hit too many times and thus get hurt too much.  The little gimmick/fad things like the "wildcat" and read/option get figured out pretty quick too.

Liep

Worst play of the evening: that chick who did the reading of the 'playbook'-line for the new show Crisis.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Well this game turned out to be much more exciting than I imagined before the half.