Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? NFL Playoff thread.

Started by katmai, January 03, 2014, 11:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on January 13, 2014, 06:39:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2014, 06:29:44 PM
Any four teams that are left are the best four.  That's how it works.  I just prefer it when one of the best four is a surprise.

Disagree, again.  I think the 16 game regular season does a much better job of telling who the better teams are than one random game in January.  Anyone who thinks the 2007 Giants were a better team than the 2007 Patriots is a dumbass.  The Giants were better that game, and they deserved to win and deserved to be called champions, but they were not the best team that year.  I think if those teams played 10 times the Patriots win 6-7 of them, because they were better.

It is the system, and it makes for a very fun playoff when one loss can end your season, but it does not always crown the best team, just the team that won the tournament.

Performance in the regular season is largely a function of what teams can keep their starters healthy for the most games.  Performance in the playoffs is largely a function of who are the best teams at the end of the year.  A game series in football is silly.  Who cares if the Pats built a team that could win a 10 game series.  Did they build a team that could win the big game - no.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2014, 09:14:52 PM
And one day, the Bills will be unstoppable.  The transition back to the Joe Ferguson unis speaks to this inevitability.

I was a Bills fan during that era.  A second cousin of mine played tight end 1980-84. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Vikings took Zimmer.  Hopefully we get Da Schwartz to replace him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

I'm a Patriots fan but really don't care for another Brady-Manning match-up. I was cheering for San Diego to win, be something different. But at least the Pats are there for the next playoff game. I know that makes you all very happy!   :P   I never expected them to do so well this year, and I had serious doubts about them getting into the Super Bowl. The strong running game is a surprise even though they had a good running game last year, I didn't expect them to be such a running offense.

derspiess

I'd like the Broncos to win this weekend but if they don't, what the hell-- I'd root for that other AFC team.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2014, 01:27:04 PM
I'd like the Broncos to win this weekend but if they don't, what the hell-- I'd root for that other AFC team.
Never.  Better the Steelers than the Patriots.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2014, 01:06:24 PM
Vikings took Zimmer.  Hopefully we get Da Schwartz to replace him.

And we promoted from within-- Paul Guenther, LB coach, will be the new DC.  I like Paulie G-- he's a generous guy and likes beer.  And he's done well with the linebackers lately.  But Schwartz would've brought some DC experience.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I'm glad that being OC for the worst offense in Ravens history didn't hurt him.  I don't really blame Caldwell for this year's ridiculous display.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Like Kronn, I'm really surprised we got this far, but with how well the running game is going and Denver defensive back Chris Harris out with an ACL injury I'm a bit more confident that the Pats can win this one.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 15, 2014, 05:47:14 PM
I'm glad that being OC for the worst offense in Ravens history didn't hurt him.  I don't really blame Caldwell for this year's ridiculous display.

It will be interesting to see how he's going to do without Peyton Manning on the field for him.  Will he be:  The Black Shanahan?

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 15, 2014, 06:22:00 PM
Like Kronn, I'm really surprised we got this far, but with how well the running game is going and Denver defensive back Chris Harris out with an ACL injury I'm a bit more confident that the Pats can win this one.

Go eat a shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 15, 2014, 06:22:00 PM

If Denver sends out Quentin Jammer to play CB again you can be doubly confident.  Man talk about being too old for this shit.  He and Phil Dawson are the last John Mackovic UT players in the league.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."