Why Buying Cocaine Is Like Donating to the Nazi Party

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2014, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on January 03, 2014, 10:41:35 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2014, 10:35:59 AM
Seems a bit unfair to put all the blame on consumers.  Surely the Latin American governments have responsibility to maintain law and order in their respective countries?

The problem here is that the governments are sometimes simply overwhelmed by the criminals, who are well-funded by the drug trade. Look at Mexico.

For myself, I put the lion's share of the blame on the prohibition itself. It has had the same effect as booze prohibition, in encouraging crime and corruption.

Yup, legalize it and hand to profits over to governments and corporate interests where they belong.

Razgovory

Is anyone seriously talking about legalizing coke?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 07:32:15 PM
I am.  I'm planning on using marijuana as a gateway drug to make almost everything legal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Well, as long as it's still okay to buy electronic components from the People's Republic of China, we can do without the coke, right?

Anyway, the so typical thing is that the author focuses on the cartel's atrocities.  How about focus on this: if the drug trade ended tomorrow, the economies of the Latin American countries would collapse and millions will starve as they enter a poverty even more abject than before.  KICK THE HABIT.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Ideologue

It's a multibillion dollar-a-year agribusiness.  Are we under the impression that if demand for it vanished, it would be replaced by something of equal value to the national economies it supports?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I'm not sure if these industries actually "support" the the national economy.  The farmers who grow it would likely grow something else if nobody made them grow coca.  They aren't benefiting much from the situation; they get bullied by the cartels, must bribe the police, and occasionally have their fields destroyed by the government.   The income generated tends to go to criminals who tend to use that income to kill one another.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 07:32:15 PM

Why not?

I don't particularly like the idea, but clearly prohibition isn't working, at least the way we're going about it now.  Plus, there's a part of me that feels that if tobacco is legal, there isn't any recreational drug that should be illegal.

Siege

Prohibition isn't working because we are not penalizing consumption hard enough.
Put the fuckers 5 years in jail for possession of any amount or for just being high, no early release, and you'll see the success.

Why are western people so fucking weak against crime?
Hard on crime works when it is hard enough, fails when is soft (though you fags might think it is hard enough).
The fallacy is thinking you are being hard on crime when you aren't.
You heard the fags "Ah, being hard on crime doesn't work!!"
Of course, mothefucker. You are not being hard enough!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

frunk

Quote from: Siege on January 06, 2014, 08:03:49 AM
Prohibition isn't working because we are not penalizing consumption hard enough.
Put the fuckers 5 years in jail for possession of any amount or for just being high, no early release, and you'll see the success.

Hard on crime works when it is hard enough, fails when is soft (though you fags might think it is hard enough).

We already put more people in prison for drug offenses both as an absolute number and as a percentage of population than any other country in the world.  The prison population (at ~2 million right now) has been growing significantly over the past 30 years, driven primarily by more people being locked up for drug offenses.  How many more should we be putting in prison?

Siege

Of course, there are always excuses to not do right about drugs.

I recommend summary execution of murderers, rapists, and human traffickers, after proven guilty in the court of justice, no appeals.

That should clear up space for our drug offenders.

Also, our prison system is too lenient. We operate under the false premise of rehabilitating offenders.
Criminals don't fear doing time. Lets fix this by eliminating all their commodities and making our prison system a more secure copy of middle eastern prisons, and we would end the "war on drugs" in no time.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on January 06, 2014, 08:03:49 AM

See, and it's that kind of immorality and cowardice that is typical for your kind.  Putting people in jail is both useless and wrong.  The only way to be tough on crime is to start hanging people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.