Why Buying Cocaine Is Like Donating to the Nazi Party

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2014, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on January 03, 2014, 09:47:26 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 03, 2014, 09:08:55 AM
You people are amazingly competent at missing the forest for the trees.

The basic premise of the article is spot on, and incredibly important. America's drug addiction (and the resulting "war" on the same) is causing misery, death, and torment at a scale that is nearly unprecedented, and there is no end in sight.

It is criminal that we simply do not appear to care.

The author makes several errors in the pursuit of the basic point (why oh why do you need to throw in gratuitous accusations of racism?) but his basic thesis is exactly right. This is a horror story, and it should be an even bigger story, and while you can argue about the right solution (personally I think the blame should be on the "war" part, rather than on the users part), he is exactly right that people who choose to use these drugs bear some responsibility for what happens in the process of procuring them for their entertainment.

Hell, Americans (and Canadians) apparently don't care very much about the hundreds of thousands thrown in jail or killed right here in America and Canada as a result of the drug trade. Why would anyone expect them to care about the lives of foreigners, when they seemingly don't care about their own? 

A good point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Seems a bit unfair to put all the blame on consumers.  Surely the Latin American governments have responsibility to maintain law and order in their respective countries? 

Neil

Why would we care?  The West decided to abandon colonialism, instead adopting values of democracy and individualism.  Civilization can't move forward with those kinds of values.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2014, 10:35:59 AM
Seems a bit unfair to put all the blame on consumers.  Surely the Latin American governments have responsibility to maintain law and order in their respective countries?

The problem here is that the governments are sometimes simply overwhelmed by the criminals, who are well-funded by the drug trade. Look at Mexico.

For myself, I put the lion's share of the blame on the prohibition itself. It has had the same effect as booze prohibition, in encouraging crime and corruption.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Not when the West is funding and the Chinese are arming powerful insurgent armies in their territory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2014, 10:41:26 AM
Why would we care?  The West decided to abandon colonialism, instead adopting values of democracy and individualism.  Civilization can't move forward with those kinds of values.
I don't see how democracy and individualism is necessarily opposed to colonialism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on January 03, 2014, 09:08:55 AM
You people are amazingly competent at missing the forest for the trees.

The basic premise of the article is spot on, and incredibly important. America's drug addiction (and the resulting "war" on the same) is causing misery, death, and torment at a scale that is nearly unprecedented, and there is no end in sight.

It is criminal that we simply do not appear to care.

The author makes several errors in the pursuit of the basic point (why oh why do you need to throw in gratuitous accusations of racism?) but his basic thesis is exactly right. This is a horror story, and it should be an even bigger story, and while you can argue about the right solution (personally I think the blame should be on the "war" part, rather than on the users part), he is exactly right that people who choose to use these drugs bear some responsibility for what happens in the process of procuring them for their entertainment.

But I don't buy or consume illegal drugs.  So trying to guilt trip me about supporting Nazis or whatever does no good.  Presumably if the production of some good does some sort of harm or the money is used to do some sort of harm, then the purchaser is a party to that harm.  That of course would make everyone a party to all sorts of terrible things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2014, 11:07:20 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2014, 10:41:26 AM
I don't see how democracy and individualism is necessarily opposed to colonialism.
I recommend that you think about it a little more.  If a people believes that individuals have rights and should have a hand in their governance, then by what right do they hold another people in thrall?  Even if they start out of a mind to colonize, they won't have the will to continue it as it must be done.

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on January 03, 2014, 10:41:35 AM

The problem here is that the governments are sometimes simply overwhelmed by the criminals, who are well-funded by the drug trade. Look at Mexico.

For myself, I put the lion's share of the blame on the prohibition itself. It has had the same effect as booze prohibition, in encouraging crime and corruption.

I don't disagree, but do feel that it doesn't excuse the consumer.

There is no question in my mind that the war on drugs is what has created this violence, but that is a know quantity, and the people using drugs know (or ought to know) that is the case, and hence share some responsibility for that violence.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 11:32:59 AM
But I don't buy or consume illegal drugs. 

No, but your votes help ensure that the people who do consume them are funding violent thugs instead of mega-corporations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2014, 03:21:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 11:32:59 AM
But I don't buy or consume illegal drugs. 

No, but your votes help ensure that the people who do consume them are funding violent thugs instead of mega-corporations.

I'm not making the connection here.  Walk me through it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 03:24:37 PM

I'm saying voters share some of the blame for the effects of policies they favor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2014, 03:28:08 PM

I'm saying voters share some of the blame for the effects of policies they favor.

Sure.  But that doesn't mean I'm voting for people to take drugs.  I'm unclear exactly how much blame I deserve for people who are incarcerated for violating the law.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2014, 03:28:08 PM

Sure.  But that doesn't mean I'm voting for people to take drugs.  I'm unclear exactly how much blame I deserve for people who are incarcerated for violating the law.

Then you're doing it wrong.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.