California grants law license to "illegal" immigrant

Started by garbon, January 02, 2014, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on January 02, 2014, 02:51:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2014, 02:49:21 PM
I believe California allows illegal immigrants to graduate from state universities.
:wacko: If it was any other state, I wouldn't believe you. :sleep:

http://www.nilc.org/basic-facts-instate.html
QuoteFifteen states have laws permitting certain undocumented students who have attended and graduated from their primary and secondary schools to pay the same tuition as their classmates at public institutions of higher education. The states are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington. In addition, Rhode Island's Board of Governors for Higher Education voted unanimously to provide access to in-state tuition at the state's public colleges and universities to certain students, regardless of their immigration status. This year, the University of Hawaii's Board of Regents adopted a similar policy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

@garbon - I don't think making driving a privilege for legals is always worth the hassle.

Also what is an illegal with a law license goona do if he can't legally be hired or open his own business?

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
http://www.nilc.org/basic-facts-instate.html
QuoteFifteen states have laws permitting certain undocumented students who have attended and graduated from their primary and secondary schools to pay the same tuition as their classmates at public institutions of higher education. The states are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington. In addition, Rhode Island's Board of Governors for Higher Education voted unanimously to provide access to in-state tuition at the state's public colleges and universities to certain students, regardless of their immigration status. This year, the University of Hawaii's Board of Regents adopted a similar policy.
Interesting. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: sbr on January 02, 2014, 02:55:08 PM
@garbon - I don't think making driving a privilege for legals is always worth the hassle.

Is it much of a hassle to prove citizenship? Or are you talking about the hassle of having illegal immigrants driving without being licensed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

In this day I don't think it would be very hard to get fake/forged documents and I  don't think the local yahoo employee at the dmv should be the ones making those decisions. I guess it is important that I also don't think drivers license should be the main form of id; I would prefer a state issued id that proves citizenship issued by someone better equipped to make those decisions and a driver's license nothing more than a license to operate a vehicle.

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on January 02, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
In this day I don't think it would be very hard to get fake/forged documents and I  don't think the local yahoo employee at the dmv should be the ones making those decisions. I guess it is important that I also don't think drivers license should be the main form of id; I would prefer a state issued id that proves citizenship issued by someone better equipped to make those decisions and a driver's license nothing more than a license to operate a vehicle.

I dunno - in this day and age official documents are getting harder and harder to forge.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on January 02, 2014, 02:39:30 PM
I would have assumed that the law school would have asked the same question on their app, BB, and further that if he had answered truthfully there he probably would not have been admitted. :hmm:

:lmfao:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Americans who cannot drive (say for medical reasons) cannot get ID? :yeahright:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on January 02, 2014, 03:10:36 PM

Same as what BB said. As to the other bit - well that's quite a different world from the one that we live in, given that state issued IDs follow the same process as driver's licenses. :P

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on January 02, 2014, 03:43:59 PM

No, but the DMV does issue the State ID cards that substitute.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

They can. They go to the dmv and follow same process as getting a license (minus written/onroad driving test).

Caliga

If you cannot drive, you are an untermensch. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2014, 03:45:45 PM

They can. They go to the dmv and follow same process as getting a license (minus written/onroad driving test).

Can't they be made to do the tests anyway for cheap laughs?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue