News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Years Resolutions

Started by Syt, January 01, 2014, 04:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Normally I don't do these, because I believe if you want to change something in your life you can do that at any point in the year, and not just for New Years. I did have a bit of time for thinking over the holidays, and have decided for me two main things:

- To take writing seriously (as I promised myself a few times before ...). In the past I've always been lazy about it, waiting for the "right moment", "the right job that doesn't stress me too much", "when I'm not so tired", "when I've finished watching this video" etc. It's all about inner resistance when you want to tackle a big project or making a major change in your life. I'm turning 38 this year and I've given in too long to the resistance (or the "Inner Pig Dog" as we like to say in German), so time to pull the emergency brake and do the only thing that'll move me forward in this regard: AIC (ass in chair). I used to have a signature line that said "Writers write. Everyone else is making excuses." I'm making an effort to move from the latter to the former. It'll mean less time ... well, watching videos and surfing the net, really, as those were my major time sinks in recent months.

- Stop binge-buying games. I have so many unplayed/unfinished games (including many of the seminal RPGs of the last ten or so years) and barely touched strategy games that each could take me 100+ hours to finish. I've not been playing much (see above), so before making major additions to my 250+ Steam collection (plus the dozens of games on GOG and GamersGate and from Matrix and indie developers) I limit myself to a budget of 10.- per month. Obviously my game time is limited, so I'll try to get mileage out of the vast trove that I have.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

10 games a month sounds like a lot even so. :unsure:

I likewise resolve to take writing seriously.  I've been doing pretty well the last week.

Other resolutions, in order of importance:

-have sex again
-lose ten pounds and stop being too fat and too old
-get a real job if possible
-try to make a friend or friends, other than someone I'm sleeping with
-play more tennis
-continue not smoking
-watch more "art house" type movies of the kind that Sav is always raving about (albeit, for my part, largely for the pretension value)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh yeah:

-stop staying up till five a.m. like a snot-nosed twenty year old punk
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I'd like to lose some weight, but I really have no idea where to start. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2014, 05:55:00 AM
I'd like to lose some weight, but I really have no idea where to start. :(

Penis should be last.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on January 01, 2014, 05:07:44 AM
10 games a month sounds like a lot even so. :unsure:

Syt means 10 euros per month of gaming, as 10.- per month is literally translated from German.

The Brain

katmai

Who is mocking, 10 years is enough.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Not to have a new kid in 14.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

So you're gonna hold off until April?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

I haven't made any new year resolutions but I've started watching even more what I eat going back a couple of months. I'm trying to cut down on the various vegetable oils, many which aren't good for you but are touted as better because of low fat. Also watching carbohydrates, too much are like sugars as they metabolise in the body. So cutting back on those, trying to have less carbs with fewer meals and more veggies instead. I had already been cutting back on some like bread and sandwiches but still eat pasta and cereal. But I'm trying to have fewer higher carb meals per day.

Josquius

Serious life stuff.
Finally get a career started and pass the JLPT N2.
Meeting a decent girl would be nice too but that has to come after the career really.
██████
██████
██████