News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 17 - The Final Countdown

Started by Neil, December 29, 2013, 01:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on December 30, 2013, 03:18:42 PM
Seriously though, who do you think knows better how to run an NFL franchise?  A bunch of Languishites, or the people who have led the Cleveland Browns as of late?

:lol:  Madden 25 (or whatever it is this year) on auto would probably run that franchise better than the real thing right now.

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 30, 2013, 03:20:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 30, 2013, 03:18:42 PM
Seriously though, who do you think knows better how to run an NFL franchise?  A bunch of Languishites, or the people who have led the Cleveland Browns as of late?

:lol:  Madden 25 (or whatever it is this year) on auto would probably run that franchise better than the real thing right now.
Now THAT would be a bold move.

"The Cleveland Browns have hired EA to be their new head coach."
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

I would watch the shit out of that.  The totally random playcalling on O and D would be great entertainment too.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on December 30, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
It's not a simple question of data though.  That makes it more difficult.

If you want to make a generic statement that you can expect improvement in a  head coach's second year, then it is.

The general rule may not apply to Chudzinski, but then no one has brought up those brilliant moments on his resume. He is also 45, which is not remarkably young to get a first time head coaching job.   
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on December 30, 2013, 03:28:01 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 30, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
It's not a simple question of data though.  That makes it more difficult.

If you want to make a generic statement that you can expect improvement in a  head coach's second year, then it is.

The general rule may not apply to Chudzinski, but then no one has brought up those brilliant moments on his resume. He is also 45, which is not remarkably young to get a first time head coaching job.
There's more to a football team's performance than just data though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Speaking of new coaches, the Texans are apparently interested in Bill O'Brien.  I know nothing about him except he's a former OC in New England, and is currently at Pedo State.

If they do hire him, I hope they give him at least 2, but hopefully more like 3 years to go ffrom the old O Kubes and co. run to whatever it is he does. 

MadBurgerMaker

What the shit:

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=27121

QuoteThere were disagreements between Chudzinski and General Manager Mike Lombardi, though Banner regarded them as healthy and not out of line.

Other smaller issues arose.  At one point, Chudzinski was urged by Banner to "shake up" the locker room by cutting wide receiver Greg Little or guard Shawn Lauvao. Chudzinski declined, and that was interpreted as Chudzinski not holding players accountable for their failings.

In recent weeks, a disagreement arose about a future role for receivers coach Scott Turner, the son of coordinator Norv Turner. Chudzinski, a source said, wanted to switch Turner to running backs coach. Norv Turner objected and the brushfire became another strike against Chudzinski.

katmai

Cleveland and Oakland seem to be the two biggest disfunctional franchises atm.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: katmai on December 30, 2013, 03:55:36 PM
Cleveland and Oakland seem to be the two biggest disfunctional franchises atm.
:(  I think Oakland is actually on the mend.  Once they get the albatross of Al and Hue's contracts off their necks next season, they'll be able to sign some real players and start a proper rebuild at long last. 

I do think Cleveland is quite screwed.  Lombardi traded down during the last draft to stockpile picks for the upcoming draft, he traded away Trent Richardson for a pick, he made it known no one was safe on the roster from being traded, he refused to offload Weeden and pushed for him to start, and he got Chud fired after one season.  I haven't been pissed at a firing since Holmgren gutted Mangini's plans and fired him.  Hell, they're still digging out of the awfulness of the Holmgren era and now they have to deal with the Lombardi bullshit.  It's brutal.  If you want to look at a difference in coaches, look at the reactions to the firing of Chud versus the firing of Shurmer.  No one on the roster got up in arms over Shurmer getting canned, as he truly had lost the locker room and was simply terrible at game management and on field production.  There are a lot of players speaking out about Chud's firing.  The guy got a raw deal between injuries and Lombardi's efforts.

I'd also say the Redskins are more dysfunctional than Oakland.  Tampa Bay as well.  They just offloaded a HC and a GM.  That's pretty brutal.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000305046/article/rapaport-bill-obrien-poised-to-leave-penn-state

QuotePenn State coach Bill O'Brien has informed members of his staff to be prepared for a move to the Houston Texans, and the school's director of athletics, Dave Joyner, is preparing to counter the potential loss with a push for Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Hm.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

So I caught a demo of what will probably be the next step in coaches/players reviewing pre- and post-snap pictures during NFL games (first one to mention us using Polaroids gets a kick in the nuts).  I think some of you have mentioned that they should just use iPads.  Well, it's looking like it will be Microsoft Surface tablets.  There will still be a guy doing the screen captures from live video feeds just like there is now, but the images will be sent wirelessly to the coaches' tablets instead the current system where pictures are printed and organized into binders by highly-trained and talented game day staff.

The NFL and Microsoft are already in bed together (they use MS Surface tablets behind each bench for injury review)
so Surface is what will be used instead of iPad. 

I think it will require a league rule change to make it happen, but the DVSport guys were pretty confident that will take place.  Probably pushing it to see this next year, but pretty likely for 2015.  I'll either be forced into retirement again and have to watch the games from the club level, or I'll find some other BS game-day job to do.  One thing's for sure, though-- those tablets are going to take a beating on the sideline.  They had better be in military grade cases.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
I think it will require a league rule change to make it happen, but the DVSport guys were pretty confident that will take place.  Probably pushing it to see this next year, but pretty likely for 2015.  I'll either be forced into retirement again and have to watch the games from the club level, or I'll find some other BS game-day job to do.  One thing's for sure, though-- those tablets are going to take a beating on the sideline.  They had better be in military grade cases.

Especially when Andy Reid accidentally sits on his. :P
Experience bij!

Berkut

I've decided I would be willing to not coach the Browns for just 10% of what Cleveland is willing to pay Chud to not coach the Browns. Given how bad I would be as a head coach, I think this is a real bargain for them.

My wife said she would be willing to not be a cheerleader for them for a very reasonable salary as well, so they could get quite a bargain between the pair of us.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned