Started by Ed Anger, December 27, 2013, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on January 07, 2014, 07:27:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2014, 07:11:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 07:08:18 PM
I'm too drunk to read the thread.

The usual. Everbody talkin', no one listenin'

I think I am listening. The Canucks are all "No, really, hating the US really is what defines our nation! Yes, even today! And if we have to make up a history to justify it, then that is the price we have to pay..."

I don't understand that kind of small mindeded insecurity, but I can certainly LISTEN to it.

Whereas the Americans are saying, 'sure, we invaded your country, and let free-lancering Irish CdM types invade your country to murder and pillage ... but clearly that had little to do with confederation. You guys just can't take a joke, can you.'  :P

I'm trying, but failing, to imagine what examples of "small-minded insecurity" the US would come up with in the present day, if Canadians allowed Islamicists to stage their own version of the Fenian raids today ...  :lol: Given the fact that the US generally goes apeshit over terrorism, as we are all reminded each time we travel through a US airport, methinks that folks in the US are not in a position to lecture others about "small minded insecurity".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Malthus, you are going to have to do better to get the replies up that facilitate the drinking game.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on January 08, 2014, 09:55:22 AM
Malthus, you are going to have to do better to get the replies up that facilitate the drinking game.

You didn't give me a rule.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2014, 09:51:52 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2014, 07:11:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 07:08:18 PM
I'm too drunk to read the thread.

The usual. Everbody talkin', no one listenin'

I think I am listening. The Canucks are all "No, really, hating the US really is what defines our nation! Yes, even today! And if we have to make up a history to justify it, then that is the price we have to pay..."

I don't understand that kind of small mindeded insecurity, but I can certainly LISTEN to it.

Whereas the Americans are saying, 'sure, we invaded your country a colony of the British Empire who had gone to war with us long before it was your country in an effort to free you from your colonial masters, and who in the hell has ever heard of a Frinian? You guys just can't take a joke, can you.'  :P

FYP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

BB, tell us about your last curling game and how it relates to the Canadian love of freedom from the grasping claws of the US.

Berkut

I think you might be on to something there CC...is this really all about curling?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

I think Viper blames the English for curling.  Tim, draw a map while Grumbler writes up a few paragraphs about it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on January 07, 2014, 07:27:56 PMI think I am listening. The Canucks are all "No, really, hating the US really is what defines our nation! Yes, even today! And if we have to make up a history to justify it, then that is the price we have to pay..."

:lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2014, 09:56:49 AM

Drinking game Errata:

Malthus slavishly toes the party line on 1812- 1 drink
Berkut objects to the party line on 1812- 1 drink
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Just open a vein and pour it straight in dude.

viper37

That's about how Canada got formed, but you refuse to acknowledge it.  You all seem intent on considering Canadians as Americans who woke up about the evil of the British Empire a century too late.

The part of history that is made up, is the part about 1812 being a war where everyone in the country fought&bled together for a common cause, freedom from the Evil American Invaders.  That is certainly a lie.  But to say that the Confederation had nothing to do with the threat (real or overblowned) of an American invasion is certainly a lie too. 

Each province had its reasons to form a union, there were many causes, but the main one was certainly anti-US: fear of military invasion, fear of commercial dominance, fear of US expansionism in the West, etc, etc.

What it was certainly not: a feeling that "Canadians" (remember, that word applied only to French Canadians at the time, others were simply British subject) were feeling distinct from the other people of the Empire or that they felt somewhat unfairly treated by the British.  There was no desire to create an independant country, but the desire to unite the colonies, to present a united front, subservient to the British interests (as attested by our later involvements in colonial conflicts like the Boers Wars and WW1), to the Americans, wich were rapidly growing into a military and commercial superpower.

That this threat of invasion or land grabbing in the West was real or not is irrelevent.  After all, the British crown was far from being the Evil the American colonists portrayed it in 1776 and 1812.  What is relevent is that people of the time felt the US was a threat to their interests and decided to unite to face this threat.

It did not do so out of love of freedom and independance, it did not to do so because they felt they were treated so unfairly from the British that they had to seperate from the Empire.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2014, 04:04:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2014, 09:56:49 AM

Drinking game Errata:

Malthus slavishly toes the party line on 1812- 1 drink
Berkut objects to the party line on 1812- 1 drink

Can one get drunk on just girl drinks?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."