News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Expensive, but worth it!

Started by grumbler, December 26, 2013, 02:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I got a copy of John Trimmer's How to Avoid Huge Ships for Christmas (see http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).  At first, I was astonished; why would my girlfriend give this to me for Christmas?  Then I realized that she must have thought it said "huge shits" because we had an incident a few months ago... well, anyway, it doesn't matter.

You'd think to yourself that there is no way a paperback book is worth $253.38 ($129.06 if you are willing to accept a used copy in fair condition, but I don't recommend that), but you'd be wrong.  Just read the readers' reviews for this magnificent book and you'll see why.  Five stars from me.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on December 26, 2013, 02:46:30 PM
Spam? :unsure:
You don't know whether your Christmas present is Spam?  I'd say you have more issues than I do.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

No Kindle version??  Anyway it's good to know you can get over $6 out of it if you decide to trade it in.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

One of the best of its kind, it really set the standard for these kinds of "How To" narratives.

Could one learn how to avoid Huge Ships for less? Probably, but why would you want to?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

945 reviews.

This one convinced me that there might be something to it:
QuoteThis book really is one of the best huge ship avoidance references I've come across, not just for the effective methods it teaches as to avoiding huge ships, but also for exploding some of the huge ship avoidance myths that many of us take for granted.

For example:
- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.
- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.
- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.
- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship.

Captain Trimmer presents a rather novel technique for avoiding huge ships - move your boat out of the path of the huge ship. I know what you're thinking, this goes against conventional wisdom, but Trimmer presents significant empirical evidence to support his theory. Indeed, over the long run, moving out of the way will dramatically decrease the number of huge ship collisions you will have to endure in your daily life.

Monoriu

I lean toward the theory that this is a joke. 

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

You people are cruel! :mad:

QuoteLarge beamed, please!
By Altair Voyager on January 6, 2011
Format: Paperback

I am a huge ship. Imagine having an entire book devoted toward actively avoiding you and your kind. I have always been bigger than other ships - and yes, I have endured years of being moared in the distance, never being able to enter the shallower bays, requiring tugs to guide me in - but now THIS! Mr. Trimmer, you sir, should be ashamed! Please do not be swayed by his drivel. I ask that you judge me not by the size of my cargo hatch but rather the content of my wheelhouse.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...