Supreme Court strikes down Canada's prostitution laws

Started by jimmy olsen, December 24, 2013, 01:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

New bill presented in the House to amend the Prostitution Law under the provisions of the Supreme Court's decision... and we'll import the Nordic system. In other words, soon in Canada buying sex services will be a criminal offence, whether the sex worker is pimped or not, brotheled or not, willingly selling of her own free will or not.

Hate to say I had told you so, but... I had told you so.  :nelson:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Drakken on June 04, 2014, 04:24:58 PM
New bill presented in the House to amend the Prostitution Law under the provisions of the Supreme Court's decision... and we'll import the Nordic system. In other words, soon in Canada buying sex services will be a criminal offence, whether the sex worker is pimped or not, brotheled or not, willingly selling of her own free will or not.

Hmm... I don't know if it's fair to call it the "Nordic system" when prostitution is perfectly legal in Denmark. It really is the Swedish and Norwegian system.

Ideologue

I read the thread title and according to the street signs, I've somehow teleported to Vancouver.  Jacob, can I crash?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 04, 2014, 04:49:44 PM
Hmm... I don't know if it's fair to call it the "Nordic system" when prostitution is perfectly legal in Denmark. It really is the Swedish and Norwegian system.

Nordic means Sweden.  The other supposed Nordic countries are just satellites to its shining sun.  Or so EU2 taught me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2014, 04:53:26 PM
I read the thread title and according to the street signs, I've somehow teleported to Vancouver.  Jacob, can I crash?

I'll help you out, sure. Right now it'll be a bit crowded though, since we've got both my in-laws and my sister staying with us... and, of course, the 7 month old baby, not to mention that psychologically damaged dog.

Ideologue

That was an incredibly detailed response to someone who just told you he teleported.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2014, 05:04:17 PM

Nordic means Sweden.  The other supposed Nordic countries are just satellites to its shining sun.  Or so EU2 taught me.

I play as Denmark and swallow them whole after they get all the events that boost every province's base tax to 20 and make manufactories appear out of thin air.  Then I eat the HRE with my German culture.  Then I put serfdom to 0 and legalize sex work.
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Not at all Drakken.  Both the Prostitute and the Customer are being criminalized under this Bill.  In fact the criminal sanctions on prostitutes have been increased.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2014, 05:10:16 PM
That was an incredibly detailed response to someone who just told you he teleported.

You teleport onto my properties and I'll shoot you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Why the fuck would I teleport to Ohio?  I already live in a shitty red state, but at least the weather is nice.
Kinemalogue

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DontSayBanana

It's catching on.  The last time I served on the grand jury, I was surprised to find that's the way New Jersey prefers to handle it.  There are still laws on the books about solicitation, but the prosecutors pretty much refuse to file charges.  As it was explained to us, it's going that way because of concerns about the overlap between prostitution and victims of human trafficking.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2014, 05:33:02 PM

Not at all Drakken.  Both the Prostitute and the Customer are being criminalized under this Bill.  In fact the criminal sanctions on prostitutes have been increased.
:bleeding: That's a shame. The Nordic model's the one to go for :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011