Corruption scandal rocks Turkish government. PM fires investigators.

Started by Syt, December 22, 2013, 12:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2014, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2014, 12:34:31 PM
Striking that dealing with the army was apparently easier for Erdogan than dealing with the Gulen movement.

I think the most hopeful end for this is that Erdogan over-reaches and gets replaced by Gul internally.

A religious movement replacing a religious-leaning political party. What could go wrong? :P
I meant Abdullah Gul, the President and former Foreign Minister :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2014, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2014, 12:34:31 PM
Striking that dealing with the army was apparently easier for Erdogan than dealing with the Gulen movement.

I think the most hopeful end for this is that Erdogan over-reaches and gets replaced by Gul internally.

A religious movement replacing a religious-leaning political party. What could go wrong? :P

What about the monstrous repression you were moaning about last year?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Another ca. 96 judges and prosecutors will be transferred, following a new order from the High Council of Judges and Prosecutors where Erdogan recently kicked out a lot of people and replaced them with loyalists. Parliament discusses a law to further curb the authorities of the judiciary.

In Brussels, Erdogan repeated in meetings with the EU that this whole affair is a foreign plot and the result of a justice system that has too much power and is threatening democracy in Turkey.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2014, 05:29:07 AM

In Brussels, Erdogan repeated in meetings with the EU that this whole affair is a foreign plot and the result of a justice system that has too much power and is threatening democracy in Turkey.

:lol:

Ukraine, Turkey, Hungary switching toward autocracy one step at a time.

Valmy

:bleeding: Wow how is it that all these guys all say the exact same things?  And LOL at the justice system launching their coup.  With what?  Their paramilitary paralegals?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I bet that convinced 'em.

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26062038

QuoteTurkey passes law tightening control of internet

The Turkish parliament has approved a bill that would tighten government controls over the internet.

The new law will allow Turkey's telecommunications authority to block websites without first seeking a court ruling.

It will also force internet providers to store data on web users' activities for two years and make it available to the authorities.

Internet access in Turkey is already restricted and thousands of websites blocked

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been openly critical of the internet, calling Twitter a "scourge" and condemning social media as "the worst menace to society".

Both Twitter and Facebook were widely used by anti-government protesters to spread information during demonstrations last year.

'Implementing fascism'
The new measures were adopted after hours of debate in parliament where Mr Erdogan's governing Justice and Development Party (AKP) dominates with 319 of the 550 seats.

At the start of the debate, opposition MP Hasan Oren compared Mr Erdogan to Adolf Hitler.

"When you came to power you talked of enhancing democracy in Turkey - now you are trying to implement fascism," he said.

"Remember that Adolf Hitler used the same methods when he rose to power."

However, Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said there was "no such thing as internet censorship" in Turkey.

"We are freer compared to many other countries and have freedom of the press," he said.

The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) said the new powers meant Turkey's telecommunications agency would be able to "gather communications data about all internet users without any legal limits or restrictions" and with users "never... able to know when and how this information is gathered".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, it seems that with thousands of policemen and prosecutors having been shuffled around and re-assigned that the investigations into corruption have pretty much ground to a halt for now.
—Stephen Jay Gould