IRS says Kerry's presidential campaign owes them $819,848

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2009, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That's quite a clerical error.   :lol:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31087577/

QuoteKerry says $819,848 tax lien is clerical error
Spokeswoman: Internal Revenue Service must have lost payroll forms

The IRS says it notified John Kerry's presidential campaign in January 2008 that it had failed to file certain payroll tax forms for the 2004 tax year.

updated less than 1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service has filed a $819,848 tax lien against Sen. John Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign, but Kerry on Wednesday blamed IRS clerical error for the claim and said his campaign owes no tax penalties.

The Massachusetts Democrat said the IRS mishandled payroll tax forms that he said were correctly filed by his campaign in 2005.

"This is a clerical matter, nothing more, nothing less," said Kerry spokeswoman Whitney Smith.

IRS spokesman Anthony Burke declined comment Wednesday, adding that IRS employees are precluded by law from commenting on tax cases.

The IRS notified the Kerry campaign in January 2008 that it had failed to file certain payroll tax forms for the 2004 tax year.

Smith said the IRS must have lost the payroll forms since the Kerry campaign had previously filed them in 2005. But the Kerry campaign filed them again in 2008 in response to the IRS request, she said.

"The IRS contacted us last year about data they lost from the 2004 campaign," Smith said. "We gladly resubmitted all the forms needed to fill in the gaps, end of story."

Demand for payment remains unpaid
Smith said the Kerry camp was surprised to learn the IRS had filed a tax lien based on the disputed W-2 payroll forms.

The IRS filed the lien earlier this year in the District of Columbia, saying it had tried to collect the money previously from the Kerry campaign.

"We have made a demand for payment of this liability, but it remains unpaid," according to the IRS tax lien.

Click for related content
John Kerry on why he lost. Will he run again?
If you can't pay your taxes, don't hide from IRS
What to do when you can't pay your tax bill 

Smith said the Kerry camp has been willing to provide the IRS additional documentation to resolve the matter. Kerry officials have been checking monthly with the IRS asking why the matter has yet to be resolved, but have not gotten an answer, she said.

The Washington Times first reported the tax lien against Kerry's campaign on Wednesday.

Kerry lost to former President George W. Bush in the 2004 race. Paperwork was filed last year with the Federal Election Commission closing down Kerry's 2004 campaign account.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Wait a sec ... you have to pay taxes, even when you lose the presidential race?  :blink:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Of course, is is when you WIN that you can avoid paying taxes!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

Haha, that's awesome.

I disliked that guy almost as much as Obama.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 01:41:25 PM
Wait a sec ... you have to pay taxes, even when you lose the presidential race?  :blink:
My reading isn't that they owe taxes, but rather penalties for failing to file.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I think Kerry should be taxed for having wasted America's time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 07:44:56 PM
I think Kerry should be taxed for having wasted America's time.

He should have to pay his fine with $819K worth of ketchup.  Since I am John Q. Taxpayer, I'll be waiting patiently on my front porch for a case of Heinz 57.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2009, 08:56:42 PM
His old lady doesn't own Hunts though.  :(

So I have to settle for shit because Kerry is a shit person? :angry:

Caliga

Well, what the hell do you expect from a Demoncrat?  :(

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point