Federal judge says NSA program appears to violate Constitution

Started by jimmy olsen, December 16, 2013, 05:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2013, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2013, 11:45:43 PM
Life is disappointment.
Says the millionaire from his palatial estate overlooking his vineyard, surrounded by his beautiful young wife, his loving children and his concubine imported from his French chateau. -_-

HEY NOW

She's not as young anymore.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

God, I want a French dip.

Not a crass Monkeybutt joke.  I want a fucking roast beef sandwich, alright?

Or--mmm--lentil soup.  Yay.  Fuck let's eat up. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2013, 11:53:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2013, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2013, 11:45:43 PM
Life is disappointment.
Says the millionaire from his palatial estate overlooking his vineyard, surrounded by his beautiful young wife, his loving children and his concubine imported from his French chateau. -_-

HEY NOW

She's not as young anymore.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2013, 12:35:24 AM

I've cut red meat out about 50 to 75 percent out of my diet. YOU DON'T HEAR ME COMPLAINING.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2013, 08:48:10 AM

I've cut red meat out about 50 to 75 percent out of my diet. YOU DON'T HEAR ME COMPLAINING.

A can of pie cherries will help with the gout.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2013, 11:44:20 PM
I was so excited when I saw that Minksy posted in this thread, eagerly awaiting his legal analysis...  <_<

Very tough to evaluate.

The problem with using the Fourth Amendment to challenge this kind of action is that the information being gathered is information already in the hands of the phone company.
So gathering the information does not involve a physical invasion of property, and it is tough to argue there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in data that the phone company routinely collects and can do just about anything it wants.  Indeed, there is a long-standing Supreme Court case from 1979 that addresses this question -- Smith v. Maryland -- and it ruled that people do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their call records.

Judge Leon's response to Smith is to cite language from concurring opinions in the recent car surveillance case US v. Jones which make a distinction between surveillance techniques that are short-term and ephemeral - like using GPS technology to track the movements of a suspect in flight - and those that are sustained and long-term - like using the same technology to track a person's evey movement for months.  Four justices joined that concurring opinion, and a fifth (Sotomayor) wrote an opinion expressing even more concern about the use of GPS technology and questioning the Smith principle.  So that is 5 justices that support that view.  Judge Leon's argument is that the unlimited data collection of the NSA program is a paradigmatic example of a long-term monitoring program and hence unconstitutional under the Jones concurrences.

The hitch in the reasoning is that the phone data has already been gathered by the phone company so arguably there isn't the same expectation that a person's phone records won't be systematically collected as there is an expectation that one's movements (even if public) won't be exhaustively tracked over months. 

Perhaps a more logical way to deal with this problem would be to say something like this:
Quote[T]he Court determines that individuals who convey information to third parties have "assumed the risk" of disclosure to the government. . . This analysis is misconceived in two critical respects.

Implicit in the concept of assumption of risk is some notion of choice . . .[H]ere, unless a person is prepared to forgo use of what for many has become a personal or professional necessity, he cannot help but accept the risk of surveillance.  . . . It is idle to speak of "assuming" risks in contexts where, as a practical mater, individuals have no realistic alternative.

More fundamentally, to make risk analysis dispositive in assessing the reasonableness of privacy expectations would allow the government to define the scope of Fourth Amendment protections. For example, law enforcement officials, simply by announcing their intent to monitor the content of random samples of first-class mail or private phone conversations, could put the public on notice of the risks they would thereafter assume in such communications.  . . . In my view, whether privacy expectations are legitimate within the meaning of Katz depends not on the risks an individual can be presumed to accept when imparting information to third parties, but on the risks he should be forced to assume in a free and open society

That was Thurgood Marshall's opinion in Smith.  But it was a dissenting opinion.  It is not the law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

:console:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2013, 12:54:35 PM

:console:

When I do eat red meat, I make it swim in A1 sauce.

Ideologue

I like A1.  When I go to Red Robin, I get the A1 Peppercorn burger.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 17, 2013, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2013, 11:44:20 PM
I was so excited when I saw that Minksy posted in this thread, eagerly awaiting his legal analysis...  <_<

Very tough to evaluate.

The problem with using the Fourth Amendment to challenge this kind of action is that the information being gathered is information already in the hands of the phone company.
So gathering the information does not involve a physical invasion of property, and it is tough to argue there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in data that the phone company routinely collects and can do just about anything it wants.  Indeed, there is a long-standing Supreme Court case from 1979 that addresses this question -- Smith v. Maryland -- and it ruled that people do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their call records.

Judge Leon's response to Smith is to cite language from concurring opinions in the recent car surveillance case US v. Jones which make a distinction between surveillance techniques that are short-term and ephemeral - like using GPS technology to track the movements of a suspect in flight - and those that are sustained and long-term - like using the same technology to track a person's evey movement for months.  Four justices joined that concurring opinion, and a fifth (Sotomayor) wrote an opinion expressing even more concern about the use of GPS technology and questioning the Smith principle.  So that is 5 justices that support that view.  Judge Leon's argument is that the unlimited data collection of the NSA program is a paradigmatic example of a long-term monitoring program and hence unconstitutional under the Jones concurrences.

The hitch in the reasoning is that the phone data has already been gathered by the phone company so arguably there isn't the same expectation that a person's phone records won't be systematically collected as there is an expectation that one's movements (even if public) won't be exhaustively tracked over months. 

Perhaps a more logical way to deal with this problem would be to say something like this:
Quote[T]he Court determines that individuals who convey information to third parties have "assumed the risk" of disclosure to the government. . . This analysis is misconceived in two critical respects.

Implicit in the concept of assumption of risk is some notion of choice . . .[H]ere, unless a person is prepared to forgo use of what for many has become a personal or professional necessity, he cannot help but accept the risk of surveillance.  . . . It is idle to speak of "assuming" risks in contexts where, as a practical mater, individuals have no realistic alternative.

More fundamentally, to make risk analysis dispositive in assessing the reasonableness of privacy expectations would allow the government to define the scope of Fourth Amendment protections. For example, law enforcement officials, simply by announcing their intent to monitor the content of random samples of first-class mail or private phone conversations, could put the public on notice of the risks they would thereafter assume in such communications.  . . . In my view, whether privacy expectations are legitimate within the meaning of Katz depends not on the risks an individual can be presumed to accept when imparting information to third parties, but on the risks he should be forced to assume in a free and open society

That was Thurgood Marshall's opinion in Smith.  But it was a dissenting opinion.  It is not the law.

Not, in general, a big fan of Marshall, but I agree with him here. 

If anything, the ideas shown in the bit posted here are even more relevant now than they were 34 years ago.