News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Massachusetts Congressman, others, indicted

Started by KRonn, June 03, 2009, 11:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Wow, just wow. DiMiasi is the former Speaker of the House in Mass. The previous two Speakers resigned amid charges or were found guilty of charges. Then we have one or two Congress members facing charges for various things, ethics and fraud, taking money illegally given, etc.

This appears to be quite a nasty political scandal. Before this latest event the current House Speaker, DeLeo, has been talking about reform of various kinds, including ethics reform, to assuage public anger over the State's problems. Wanted to do reform to try and show good faith as they were looking to increase taxes to address budget shortfalls. Yeah right, too little, too late. The State needs serious reform which should have been done while times were good, in my opinion, so that in tougher times they just don't start laying off teachers, police, fire fighters, and all the hardships that go with a State with spending out of control in an economic downturn. The legislature recently agreed to increase the State sales tax - just what we need, more money tossed at a broken and systemically corrupt State government. Thanks.

Some members of this gang of four indicted, Congressman (ex-Speaker of the House) and three other business and lobbyist types, have a rather checkered history. These charges are pretty serious, not something that all of them will likely get out of with easy terms.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/2009_06_03_Salvatore_Dimasi_faces_fraud_rap_in_%E2%80%98huge_blow_to_house_/srvc=home&position=0
Ex-Speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi is facing up to 20 years in prison for allegedly taking kickbacks in yet another State House corruption scandal that has cast a pall over Beacon Hill and sent the onetime iron-fisted leader's former colleagues scrambling for cover.

DiMasi was hit with fraud and conspiracy charges yesterday in a scathing indictment that painted him as the "coach" of a team of conspirators who cut lucrative deals in backrooms and on golf courses from Boston to Florida, lining his own pocket to the tune of $60,000, federal agents alleged.

Prosecutors said DiMasi used his legislative might to steer $20 million in taxpayer-funded software contracts to Cognos in 2007. In exchange, the Canadian firm funneled payments to an unnamed lawyer in DiMasi's law office, who in turn cut the then-speaker checks ranging from $4,000 to $25,000, authorities alleged.

At one point during the alleged scheme, DiMasi boasted to a pal, "It's about time we got business like this," according to acting U.S. Attorney Michael Loucks.

Also charged yesterday were DiMasi's friend and former accountant Richard Vitale, Cognos lobbyist Richard McDonough and former Cognos executive Joseph Lally Jr. All four were released on $10,000 surety and are due back in federal court Monday.

DiMasi, who became the third consecutive speaker to land in the defendant's chair in federal court, had tears in his eyes as he addressed a crush of media outside Moakley Federal Courthouse.

"Every decision that I have ever made as the speaker or as a state representative was always made in the best interests of my constituents and the people of the commonwealth of Massachusetts," DiMasi said, clutching the hand of his wife, Debbie. He brushed off media questions and left in a black Jaguar driven by his lawyer.

Meanwhile, Speaker Robert DeLeo, a longtime DiMasi ally, and his leadership team went into bunker mode yesterday. They discussed beefing up ethics rules in a bid to rebuild shattered public trust, including giving in to a proposal by Gov. Deval Patrick to ban gifts to politicians and give prosecutors power to tap crooked lawmakers' phones, sources said.

One lawmaker said news of DiMasi's indictment "sucked all the air out of the room" during the DeLeo leadership meeting.

DeLeo, who oversaw the key legislative committee that ushered through the Cognos legislation, said he was "saddened and disappointed" by the charges.

His attorney, Robert Popeo, sought to distance the speaker from the scandal, saying he has fully complied with investigators.

"He is not a subject, target or person of interest in any of the investigation that is taking place," Popeo said. "People from his office produced records (to the grand jury). He was never in front of the grand jury."

Patrick last night said the indictment was "deeply disturbing," while one lawmaker called the charges "a huge distraction and a huge blow to the House."

DiMasi's indictment comes just two years after former Speaker Thomas M. Finneran was convicted of obstruction of justice and was put on 18 months' probation. Finneran's predecessor, Charles Flaherty, resigned from the Legislature in 1996 after pleading guilty to tax evasion and ethics violations. It also comes months after former state Sen. Dianne Wilkerson was charged with taking bribes.

McDonough's attorney, Thomas Drechsler, proclaimed his client's innocence and called the allegations "an attack on the lobbying profession."

"What he is accused of is doing what he has done honorably and honestly for over 30 years and that is to lobby on behalf of his client," Drechsler said. "He advocated for language in legislation. That's what lobbyists are paid to do."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

KRonn, remember how last fall I told you they'd eventually have to stop the corruption probes in Mass. because eventually there'd be nobody left to actually run state government there?  :lol:

Also, I second Tim's emoticon. :bleeding: .
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Tommy Finneran is on his talk radio show defending him and the other hackjobs on the Hill, claiming that they are doing a good job.
PDH!

Berkut

Man, that is freaking peanuts.

$20 million and the Speaker is only pocketing $60k?

He should be fired for being such a shitty corrupt politician.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Also, Congressman? I thought DiMasi was still a member of the statehouse, until he recently resigned that is. Am I thinking of someone else?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

He was the Speaker of the Mass House, till he got wacked in yet another scandal. 
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 03, 2009, 01:01:00 PM
He was the Speaker of the Mass House, till he got wacked in yet another scandal.
I know, I'm trying to figure out what congressman Kronn is referring to. Just a typo?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 03, 2009, 12:35:20 PM
Tommy Finneran is on his talk radio show defending him and the other hackjobs on the Hill, claiming that they are doing a good job.
Yeah, I know. Finneran always has a good word, and sticks up for the political process and those running things (sometimes into the ground), no matter the problems.   :lol:

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on June 03, 2009, 12:53:35 PM
Man, that is freaking peanuts.

$20 million and the Speaker is only pocketing $60k?

He should be fired for being such a shitty corrupt politician.
Really. On top of being an alleged crook, he's not even a good one! Given such incompetence, how did this guy ever get elected to the House Speaker!    :mad:

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2009, 11:50:42 AM
KRonn, remember how last fall I told you they'd eventually have to stop the corruption probes in Mass. because eventually there'd be nobody left to actually run state government there?  :lol:

Also, I second Tim's emoticon. :bleeding: .
I guess the last one of us leaving the State will have to remember to turn the lights off.   :(

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2009, 01:02:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 03, 2009, 01:01:00 PM
I know, I'm trying to figure out what congressman Kronn is referring to. Just a typo?
Yeah, I should have said former Speaker, my bad.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2009, 12:59:09 PM
Also, Congressman? I thought DiMasi was still a member of the statehouse, until he recently resigned that is. Am I thinking of someone else?
What are you supposed to call a member of a state house?

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2009, 02:04:05 PM
What are you supposed to call a member of a state house?

Usually "Representative" or "Senator."