Adventures in Turkish Civilization Envy, Wanting to re-convert Hagia Sophia

Started by Queequeg, December 15, 2013, 12:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

No, I believe him.  He's eccentric, but not unlovable.  Hell, I would think he'd be quite the hit in certain crowds.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: dps on December 17, 2013, 12:09:41 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 12:29:28 PM
I have... ...friends   

Yeah, right.
:lol:
Oh God, someone on the internet implied I have problems in my social life.  This is terrible, because I'm a 12 year old girl with extreme anxiety issues who doubts that I have any legitimate friends.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on December 17, 2013, 12:15:02 AM
Quote from: dps on December 17, 2013, 12:09:41 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 12:29:28 PM
I have... ...friends   

Yeah, right.
:lol:
Oh God, someone on the internet implied I have problems in my social life.  This is terrible, because I'm a 12 year old girl with extreme anxiety issues who doubts that I have any legitimate friends.

That's the age that dps likes to get them. I think he's using that seduction community technique of applying insults.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2013, 12:40:44 AM
Wasn't that Drakken who was in the seduction community?

And dps didn't like them young, just younger.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2013, 09:38:50 PM
I'd make a distinction between buildings built as museums which can live as much as anything else and buildings - whether places of worship, or castles, or whatever else - that are turned into museums.

I wouldn't make the distinction that you are making, obviously, because your distinction is merely circular reasoning.  Museum buildings which are, themselves, part of the exhibit can be living, changing things as much as a building constructed to house some exhibits... certainly, as much as any church or mosque are.

QuoteThey're either reverentially frozen or just a theme park, I think a Byzantine Hagia Sofia would be firmly in the latter. They can still be interesting but I always think it's a bit sad.

I think that you are stuck in an artificial dichotomy here; there are many preserved buildings that are neither reverentially frozen nor just a theme park.  The existing Hagia Sophia is rated at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d294497-Reviews-Hagia_Sophia_Museum_Church_Ayasofya-Istanbul.html as the fourth-best attraction (of 600) in Istambul, with 4.35 stars out of five.  If this is what you consider bad, consider that your beloved Coventry Cathedral has a slightly worse rating, and is rated the #5 attraction out of 32 in Coventry.  So, I guess that there are worse things than "just a theme park."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2013, 09:11:34 PM
I think buildings turned into museums are always a bit sad. Better a living, changing place of worship (even one that charges for entry and does guided tours and ultimately changes the fabric of the building) than a frozen piece of art.

Sheilbh is just saying this to justify the continued use of the Pantheon as a church.

Can we use the Pyramids as a Mosque also Sheilbh?

Also museums are public buildings that are living and used so I do not get this bizarre assertion that they are frozen somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on December 17, 2013, 08:36:57 AM
The Latins should have knocked it down after the 4th Crusade.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM.

Er....

IT BELONGS AS A MUSEUM.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Give it to the Muslims on Fridays, give it to the Orthodox on Sundays. Another day for scholars and people who take an actual interest in the building.  Tourists can visit on the other four days. If that's not enough, close it down and tax people for the upkeep. If you can't share it you can't have it at all.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on December 17, 2013, 10:12:07 AM
Give it to the Muslims on Fridays, give it to the Orthodox on Sundays. Another day for scholars and people who take an actual interest in the building.  Tourists can visit on the other four days. If that's not enough, close it down and tax people for the upkeep. If you can't share it you can't have it at all.

I don't understand why you would give it to any specific groups on any days.  Just have people go there when they want, less a day a week when it is closed for maintenance.  If someone wants to pray to any particular god or gods while they are there, then they can knock themselves right out.  If someone can't share while they pray, then they can't have it at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2013, 09:45:13 AMSheilbh is just saying this to justify the continued use of the Pantheon as a church.
:blush:

QuoteAlso museums are public buildings that are living and used so I do not get this bizarre assertion that they are frozen somehow.
As I say I think there's a difference between a museum and a building turned into a museum. The British Museum vs most of the Tower of London, say.

QuoteJust have people go there when they want, less a day a week when it is closed for maintenance.  If someone wants to pray to any particular god or gods while they are there, then they can knock themselves right out.
They're not allowed to pray in Hagia Sophia. It was a big deal during Pope Benedict's visit over whether he'd do anything that would look like he was praying.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 17, 2013, 10:37:59 AM
As I say I think there's a difference between a museum and a building turned into a museum. The British Museum vs most of the Tower of London, say.

Well, the Louvre was a building (royal palace and residence till Louis XIV) turned into a museum. If we go by this logic...

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM