Adventures in Turkish Civilization Envy, Wanting to re-convert Hagia Sophia

Started by Queequeg, December 15, 2013, 12:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

There's like 16 million Muslims there.  It's hard to liberate a city by kicking out 16,000,000 Muslims for maybe 30,000 Christians. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

Not true.

I liberated Athens after it had been occupied by the Aztecs for almost a 1000 years and it became my perma-ally, granting open borders and shit.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Capetan Mihali

When I was in Istanbul, I had just visited the Hagia Sophia and had started out on the street, when I noticed it was time for prayer.  Lots of Arab tourists, among other people, were headed towards the Blue Mosque.  As I was taking in the atmosphere and strolling down the street, a man with a submachine gun suddenly appeared out of nowhere and started blocking off the sidewalk.  I started to cross the street, a little concerned, but then I saw Tayyip Erdogan right there, headed for afternoon prayer at the Blue Mosque.  I waved to him and he waved back.  :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

That's...kind of cool actually.  When I was in the Alaeddin Mosque in Konya a redhaired janitor with a Wahhabi beard (neck, no mustache) started screaming that I was an infidel and that I should get out, which was quite confusing because I was being extremely respectful.   :(
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 06:15:01 PM
That's...kind of cool actually.  When I was in the Alaeddin Mosque in Konya a redhaired janitor with a Wahhabi beard (neck, no mustache) started screaming that I was an infidel and that I should get out, which was quite confusing because I was being extremely respectful.   :(

Harsh toke.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on December 15, 2013, 06:02:05 PM
Not true.

I liberated Athens after it had been occupied by the Aztecs for almost a 1000 years and it became my perma-ally, granting open borders and shit.

And I made a puppet Nazi Israel in Hearts of Iron 2. And just laughed and laughed.

Big deal.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 06:15:01 PM

So, what you are saying i that even being extremely respectful is not enough to avoid provoking and insulting?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Pretty much.  Konya is one of my favorite cities in Turkey, though, and I actually love Seljuk architecture and art, but that was one of the more unpleasant memories of my time there.  I think the guy might have been mentally ill, though. 

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 06:56:23 PM
Pretty much.  Konya is one of my favorite cities in Turkey, though, and I actually love Seljuk architecture and art, but that was one of the more unpleasant memories of my time there.  I think the guy might have been mentally ill, though.

seriously.. I demonstrate my self control by not responding to that in the manner you people expect... :pope:

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 07:02:30 PM
"You people?"

The ones who freak out about me giving my opinion of religion, theology and spiritual claims.

Queequeg

I consider myself to be a Christian, so I don't really know what lesson you are drawing from this.  A crazy person told me to leave a Mosque when by everything I knew of Islamic practice I had every right to be there.  That could happen almost literally everywhere. 

I was once shooed out a downtown bus stop by a crazy black woman in her mid-50s.  Does this mean I should be prejudiced against black women, or people who use public transport, or both? 

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Queequeg on December 15, 2013, 07:10:05 PMDoes this mean I should be prejudiced against black women, or people who use public transport, or both?

[Languish] Yes. [/Languish]
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

No.  One data point is not enough to formulate a valid generalization about an ethnic group.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2013, 07:51:12 PM
No.  One data point is not enough to formulate a valid generalization about an ethnic group.

For Euros, it does.  Data point = Jews.