The American Way of Hiring Is Making Long-Term Unemployment Worse

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, December 14, 2013, 09:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteThe American Way of Hiring Is Making Long-Term Unemployment Worse

There are currently more than 4 million Americans who have been unemployed for 27 weeks or more. This figure doesn't include those who work part-time or on contracts — or those who, discouraged, have simply stopped trying. Many of them are older and well educated, and their situation doesn't seem to be improving despite America's slow crawl out of the recession. While last week's jobs numbers extolled a decline in the national unemployment rate, the numbers for the long-term unemployed didn't even budge.

MIT professor Ofer Sharone is tackling this issue head on, piloting a new initiative to help the long-term unemployed and gather valuable research on both job-seeking and hiring practices. He is also the author of the recent book Flawed System/Flawed Self: Job Searching and Unemployment Experiences.

Full Q&A at the link.

CountDeMoney

QuoteMIT professor Ofer Sharone is tackling this issue head on,

Thanks for the help, Ofer.

CountDeMoney

LOL, and it's in the Harvard Business Review.  Now that's hilarious.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2013, 10:02:42 AM

I feel the same way about Paul Krugman being the leading left economist.  HI I WENT TO YALE AND I TEACH AT PRINCETON AND I LIVE IN A MANSION APARTMENT IN NEW YORK CITY THANKS TO THE THEORIES OF JOHN MAYNARD KEYNES
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Thanks for adding fuel to the fire. <_<

I went on a date last night and the guy told me all about how companies aren't hiring people back as they realized they were better off without the costly dead weight.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2013, 02:13:15 PM
I went on a date last night and the guy told me all about how companies aren't hiring people back as they realized they were better off without the costly dead weight.

But that's just crazy talk.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2013, 10:02:42 AM

I feel the same way about Paul Krugman being the leading left economist.  HI I WENT TO YALE AND I TEACH AT PRINCETON AND I LIVE IN A MANSION APARTMENT IN NEW YORK CITY THANKS TO THE THEORIES OF JOHN MAYNARD KEYNES

I don't understand your problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Professor plus Ivy League plus rich?  Hits pretty much all of my buttons, doesn't it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 03:15:03 PM
It probably would be petty if I'd went to Stanford.

It would be one thing if you found it immoral to have those things, but I can't help but think, it pushes your buttons as it is what you desire for yourself.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2013, 03:20:24 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 03:15:03 PM
It probably would be petty if I'd went to Stanford.

It would be one thing if you found it immoral to have those things, but I can't help but think, it pushes your buttons as it is what you desire for yourself.

Well that's just telling tales out of school.  Where do you even pick these ideas up?

No, I don't very much like that we have elite institutions and common institutions that try to mimic them (without mimicking what makes them important, specifically the networks Ivies open up for their grads and the power of their brand name); and I don't like how they bifurcate the population into Eloi and Morlocks (you're the Morlocks, we get eaten); and I don't like education being turned into a sorting mechanism that the sortees pay for.

But if we've gotta have 'em, sure, I wish I'd gone to an Ivy League school instead of some state college nobody outside of upstate SC ever heard.
Kinemalogue

garbon

You don't like the order of things but you wish you'd gotten a place.

Ideologue

They're not mutually inconsistent.

If I lived in 1859, I'm pretty sure I could make both these statements with complete honesty and without cognitive dissonance:
"Slavery is bad."
"I am glad I am not a slave."
Kinemalogue

OttoVonBismarck

Ide maybe you should marry someone with better prospects than yourself, problems solved.