The American Way of Hiring Is Making Long-Term Unemployment Worse

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, December 14, 2013, 09:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 14, 2013, 04:56:42 PM
Ide maybe you should marry someone with better prospects than yourself, problems solved.

Disagree.  He isn't the sort to hide his jealousy, and being openly jealous of your wife is a ticket to a shitty marriage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2013, 05:08:58 PM
Ide maybe you should marry someone with better prospects than yourself, problems solved.

Disagree.  He isn't the sort to hide his jealousy, and being openly jealous of your wife is a ticket to a shitty marriage.

I dunno, I'm sure he'd come to terms with it after a while like Otto.

OttoVonBismarck

The secret is to get in early, and then you can view it as an "investment" that is paying off over time, instead of like you've been hired by a "daddy."

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 04:31:32 PM
They're not mutually inconsistent.

If I lived in 1859, I'm pretty sure I could make both these statements with complete honesty and without cognitive dissonance:
"Slavery is bad."
"I am glad I am not a slave."

That's because that isn't an apt comparison. You need to change the last line to something of the degree of wishing to be a master.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2013, 05:19:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 04:31:32 PM
They're not mutually inconsistent.

If I lived in 1859, I'm pretty sure I could make both these statements with complete honesty and without cognitive dissonance:
"Slavery is bad."
"I am glad I am not a slave."

That's because that isn't an apt comparison. You need to change the last line to something of the degree of wishing to be a master.

Yep.  Plenty of the founding fathers thought that slavery was bad, yet owned slaves. 

Josquius

If only that were the option for men it is for women. Even these days
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2013, 03:29:48 AM
If only that were the option for men it is for women. Even these days

It is, you just have to be prepared to rub the bunions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2013, 09:53:21 AM
QuoteMIT professor Ofer Sharone is tackling this issue head on,

Thanks for the help, Ofer.

LOL, that's the file name for my resume:  Ofer.  GET IT ITS A JOKE SON A GAG