Spoiled rich teen kills 4, doesn't go to jail, because he's spoiled and rich.

Started by Syt, December 12, 2013, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2013, 10:08:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2013, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2013, 03:55:38 PM
Is there any reason to believe his sentence was inconsistent with what non-rich kids get who are responsible for fatal car accidents involving alcohol?

For the record, the dumbasses who were hurt because they were riding in the back of a pickup truck bear some small measure of responsibility for *their* injuries.

This chick http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/fredericksburg-teen-gets--year-sentence-for-vehicular-homicide/article_f0ddda96-af50-11e1-b073-0019bb2963f4.html Got 10 years.  Course she killed a dog as well as a man.

And then was in prison what - like 100 days?

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/teen-imprisoned-on-vehicular-homicide-charge-released-from-prison/article_dc5c7458-4567-11e2-ad82-001a4bcf887a.html

Not comparable though, as she was 18, and hence an adult.

Note quite sure. She did it in November of 2011 and was 18 in June of 2012. Possible she was 17 at the time.

At any rate, I was just highlighting that yeah, Raz's quick search wasn't really a good one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

The article just says that a witness testified that the defendant suffered from "affluenza". There's no indication that the judge agreed or based sentencing on it. Witnesses say a lot of things.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2013, 02:13:54 PM
Well I'll be damned, Yi was right.  Higher rates of wealth amongst the richest Americans does lead to more freedom.

And Raz wins the one liner of the year with a brilliant late entry.

Well done.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 10:14:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2013, 10:08:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2013, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2013, 03:55:38 PM
Is there any reason to believe his sentence was inconsistent with what non-rich kids get who are responsible for fatal car accidents involving alcohol?

For the record, the dumbasses who were hurt because they were riding in the back of a pickup truck bear some small measure of responsibility for *their* injuries.

This chick http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/fredericksburg-teen-gets--year-sentence-for-vehicular-homicide/article_f0ddda96-af50-11e1-b073-0019bb2963f4.html Got 10 years.  Course she killed a dog as well as a man.

And then was in prison what - like 100 days?

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/teen-imprisoned-on-vehicular-homicide-charge-released-from-prison/article_dc5c7458-4567-11e2-ad82-001a4bcf887a.html

Not comparable though, as she was 18, and hence an adult.

Note quite sure. She did it in November of 2011 and was 18 in June of 2012. Possible she was 17 at the time.

At any rate, I was just highlighting that yeah, Raz's quick search wasn't really a good one.

She was 17 at the time.  I did find that part.  I didn't see that the sentence had been trimmed down after the fact.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 12:54:13 PM
Well I'll be damned, Yi was right.  Higher rates of wealth amongst the richest Americans does lead to more freedom.

Well done.

POTM? Or POTY?
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 13, 2013, 01:45:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 12:54:13 PM

Well done.

POTM? Or POTY?

I am willing to give him POTY for that one.  It nicely sums up a lot of what has been posted throughout the year.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on December 13, 2013, 05:18:41 AM
The article just says that a witness testified that the defendant suffered from "affluenza". There's no indication that the judge agreed or based sentencing on it. Witnesses say a lot of things.

That wouldn't make for such a compelling article!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

In today's segment of "Where are they now":

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/12/affluenza-teen-wanted-for-violating-probation.html?mid=facebook_nymag

QuoteTexas 'Affluenza' Teen Who Killed 4 Drunk Driving Skips Probation, Goes On The Run

County police near Fort Worth, Texas, are working with U.S. Marshals and the FBI to track down Ethan Couch, the teenager whose infamous "affluenza" defense won him a reduced sentence of 10 years' probation after he killed four people while drunk driving in 2013.

A "directive to apprehend," – the juvenile justice equivalent of an arrest warrant – was issued for Couch on Tuesday after his probation officer was unable to reach him for several days, the Dallas Morning News reported.

Now, the paper reports, officials say they have also been unable to track down Couch's mother and fear that he may have fled the country.

Couch's disappearance may have something to do with a video posted to Twitter earlier this month that purports to show him playing beer pong.

Authorities are also investigating whether the man in the video is indeed Couch. Under the terms of his probation, he is not allowed to drink alcohol.

If apprehended, the teen could face a ten-year jail sentence for violating his probation. His case remains in juvenile court, but prosecutors have moved to have it transferred to the adult court system when he turns 19 in April.

On the night of June 15, 2013, Couch was driving his pickup truck with seven people piled into the back, when he swerved off the road, killing the driver of a broken-down SUV and three others who had stopped to assist her. Two of his passengers were thrown from the vehicle and severely injured. The then-16-year-old had a blood alcohol content of 0.24, three times the legal limit for an adult, and was driving 70 mph in a 40-mph zone.

His defense made headlines when a psychologist testified that Couch suffered from "affluenza"— a condition resulting from having too much money and a dysfunctional relationship with his parents. This debilitating fictional illness left the defendant unable to feel responsibility for his actions.

At his trial in February 2014, prosecutors had sought to put him behind bars for 20 years, but State District Judge Jean Boyd deemed mandatory rehab and ten years' probation more appropriate, in light of the teen's ailment.

Boyd neglected to run for re-election that year, for some reason.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2015, 07:10:09 AM
At his trial in February 2014, prosecutors had sought to put him behind bars for 20 years, but State District Judge Jean Boyd deemed mandatory rehab and ten years' probation more appropriate, in light of the teen's ailment.

I hope the ailment he's referring to is being a teenager.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

The kid is suffering from affluenza, so of course he can't be expected to suffer the same parole rules that common law breakers have to abide by.   ;)

DGuller

:lmfao:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2015, 12:00:35 PM
I don't get it.

Raz is suggesting he got probation because he was rich, rather than because he was a minor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 18, 2015, 01:31:20 PM
Raz is suggesting he got probation because he was rich, rather than because he was a minor.

I don't get the "Yi was right" part.