And we're back!

Main Menu

Wii Jumped the Shark: Vitality Sensor

Started by Martinus, June 03, 2009, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteBy Derrik J. Lang
updated 6:07 p.m. ET June 2, 2009

LOS ANGELES - Nintendo wants to check your pulse.

The game maker on Tuesday debuted the Wii Vitality Sensor, a gadget that wraps around a player's index finger.

No games were announced that would use the new gizmo, but Nintendo President Satoru Iwata suggested it could be used to "let people unwind or maybe even make it easier to fall asleep.

Iwata discussed the apparatus and showed an image of the sensor Tuesday at Nintendo's Electronic Entertainment Expo presentation at Club Nokia.

The game maker also announced the new Wii games "Super Mario Bros. Wii," a side-scroller featuring the mustached plumber and the ability to play with four players; "Wii Fit Plus," a follow-up to the popular fitness game with more workout personalization; and a sequel to "Super Mario Galaxy."

For the handheld Nintendo DS system, Nintendo unveiled "Women's Murder Club: Games of Passion," a mystery game based on the James Patterson franchise; "Style Savvy," a fashion title aimed at tweens; and role-playing games "Mario and Lugi: Bowser's Inside Story" and "Golden Sun DS."

What. The. Fuck.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

It's for people who are using the Wii Fit to excessive with.  I wouldn't buy it, but it makes perfect sense.

PDH

My body says "fuck all the wii-tards and their idiocy. May they all die in a crash."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 03, 2009, 10:18:32 AM
It's for people who are using the Wii Fit to excessive with.  I wouldn't buy it, but it makes perfect sense.
What's up with the shit about "unwinding" and sleeping though? Asians are evil.

DisturbedPervert

I dunno what's up with that.  It measures your pulse though, so I can see how it could be useful for some. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on June 03, 2009, 10:18:59 AM
My body says "fuck all the wii-tards and their idiocy. May they all die in a crash."

/signed, Ed Anger
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

"Vitality Sensor" implies it's detecting you're still alive.

If they're going to include a heart rate monitor, they'd be better checking kids using Wii Fit and the like get their heart rates UP, not down. Some sports scientists reckon Wii Fit is barely better than nothing and you'd be better off going for a walk.

Grey Fox

Do not assume that this is fitness related.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

I can see some use for this.  If you're playing a game on Wii, and suddenly your heart stops, wouldn't you like to be informed about it?