News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Discounts for polite people

Started by Sheilbh, December 11, 2013, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: merithyn on December 12, 2013, 08:59:14 AM
My kids were taught to say, "Please, may I have..." when ordering, even at McDonald's. It's amazing the looks they get from other customers (and their friends) when they continue doing so as adults, but most of the clerks seem pleased and usually give them better service.

It doesn't hurt to use curtesy, and it could make someone else's day better, so why not do so whenever you can?

I do find it interesting that there are languages that don't have equivalent words for "please" and "thank you". Just not something that I've ever considered, but it makes sense. Curtesy has different meanings in different cultures.

We get around it. A translation of a courteous order would be: "I would like to/May I ask for a coffee, thanks".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 09:09:55 AM
I think my usual is can I get.

"You certainly can". [silence]  :D

Yeah, I say "Can I get" too.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

I say, "I would like..." or "Please may I have..." or "I'll have the X please".

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 11, 2013, 05:34:13 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 11, 2013, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2013, 05:10:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2013, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2013, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
French cafe offering discounts to polite people?  They sure ain't losing much...

It's funny cuz you're from Quebec.  :cool:
Different culture :)  Americans and British are different, despiste the same language.  Same for Australians and Canadians.

You know that Australians aren't real, right?  They're fantasy creatures, like Orcs.

And elves, hobbits and dwarves.

Those are Kiwis, not Aussies. 

Well shit, you are correct. And I know this, I've been there and worked with them drunk Kiwis.  :Embarrass: I'm slacking.  :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2013, 09:13:23 AM

Unless it is a place like the Carnegie Deli, generally waitstaff aren't trained to call the customer out. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2013, 09:13:23 AM

Unless it is a place like the Carnegie Deli, generally waitstaff aren't trained to call the customer out. :P

I dunno, how better to get a 20% tip than to humiliate your customers?

Oh, right.  ;) I guess that's why I'm not in that industry.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Brazen on December 12, 2013, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 05:54:04 PM

I know Korean and Japanese don't.  I'm pretty sure Chinese doesn't.
What about "domo arigato" (Mister Roboto)?

I actually always wondered whether arigato derives from the Portuguese obrigado :hmm:
Yeah.  There are quite a few Portugeseisms in Japanese.  The word for bread-pan-is another. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I'm surprised that there are languages without more or less direct equivalents of please.  Turkish, Russian and German do.  I actually associate Chinese with particularly Baroque politeness protocols, it would seem if anything that they don't have an exact equivalent because it's just not that simple. Turkish, Russian and German all have the T-V distinction, with older Turkish having three levels of politeness (thou, you and literally "yous"). 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Queequeg

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 03:09:30 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 12, 2013, 03:07:05 PM
Isn't it doozo?

Ah, that's the Japanese please.

Isn't that what they use as "excuse me"? Or as in "please, sit down".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

I'm not sure how exact it is.  Suwatte kudasai means "please sit down" with "suwatte" being the verb, so I'd imagine it depends on context.

I'd have to imagine Korean has a pretty complex system of politeness.  It's pretty typical of every East Asian language I thought.  Vietnamese is nuts.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on December 12, 2013, 03:12:48 PM
Isn't that what they use as "excuse me"? Or as in "please, sit down".

Excuse me is sumimasen.  I think doozo might be mostly (only?) used in the context of offering food.  Please eat, please come in to my restaurant.