All I Want for Christmas Is a New Song. The holiday-song canon is closed.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 10, 2013, 11:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Non-news of the decade.  That's one thing I don't miss about the music store- the endless repeats of Mariah Carey's version of "All I Want for Christmas is You."  Last Christmas, that had me about ready to take an Uzi to the CD player. :bleeding:
Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2013, 07:55:14 PM
In the UK for the last 10 years or so Christmas is the X Factor final. So that single is the biggest selling every Christmas. That may be part of it here at least.

That Hallelujah cover was pretty good. Can't think of any other X Factor Xmas singles though.

I've always thought that Chrismas Wrapping by the Waitresses is underrated.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 09:11:14 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 11, 2013, 08:57:06 PM
Last Christmas

No that's by Wham!

Not the one that gets airplay by the Jersey Shore- they always, without fail, use the Jimmy Eat World version. :contract:
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 13, 2013, 09:45:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 09:11:14 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 11, 2013, 08:57:06 PM
Last Christmas

No that's by Wham!

Not the one that gets airplay by the Jersey Shore- they always, without fail, use the Jimmy Eat World version. :contract:

Is there ever anything about Jersey to love? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2013, 10:09:55 PM
Is there ever anything about Jersey to love? :(

You're asking the wrong guy.  You already know my answer to that.
Experience bij!

PRC

garbon

Syt

My one sister was a big fan of Wham! back in the day. When Last Christmas came out she was, uhm, 15, I believe? Anyways, at the time there was only one show on German TV that showed current music video clips, and in one show they would premiere "Last Christmas". My sister was super hyped for this.

Imagine her horror when our dad switched to the news a few minutes before the video was supposed to air. She didn't talk to him for two weeks (well, we didn't talk to him or he to us much anyways, so ...).

Anyways, at the time none of us could have known that Last Christmas would become one of the most ubiquitous, overplayed and annoying Christmas songs ever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2013, 11:43:07 PM
Quote from: PRC on December 13, 2013, 11:09:36 PM
Last Christmas is an abomination.

I had to check youtube for this, but yes, you're quite right.

How had you never heard it before? Syt is right that it is pretty ubiquitous.

Eddie Teach