3 (23.1%)
Donate the painting to Jaron
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on December 10, 2013, 03:24:14 PM
I think that you should give her the painting.  She clearly thinks you found the painting because she mentioned it to you (which seems to be true) and you knew that she was trying to get it (and maybe went home, got a scraper of some kind, and then went back to find it gone).  Sure, she was a jerk to go all emo on you, but remember that she was probably feeling disappointed and betrayed (a perfectly understandable human reaction, if not a particularly charitable or nice one) and I think her reaction forgivable.

If keeping an old and close friend (and a close friend of your wife's) isn't worth as much as getting some revenge or keeping some painting to you, then I think your reaction is less forgivable than hers.  Friends (even imperfect ones) are worth more than random paintings.

An imminently reasonable point :cheers:

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on December 10, 2013, 03:24:14 PM
I think that you should give her the painting.  She clearly thinks you found the painting because she mentioned it to you (which seems to be true) and you knew that she was trying to get it (and maybe went home, got a scraper of some kind, and then went back to find it gone).  Sure, she was a jerk to go all emo on you, but remember that she was probably feeling disappointed and betrayed (a perfectly understandable human reaction, if not a particularly charitable or nice one) and I think her reaction forgivable.

If keeping an old and close friend (and a close friend of your wife's) isn't worth as much as getting some revenge or keeping some painting to you, then I think your reaction is less forgivable than hers.  Friends (even imperfect ones) are worth more than random paintings.
With great age, comes great wisdom.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

crazy canuck

In light of Grumbler's post I will amend my response.

I think you should explain to her that when she told you that she was not able to get the painting you thought she meant she was not going to get it at all.  You can apologize for any misunderstanding and offer to give her the painting.

I still think she is being a bit churlish by being upset that you obtained the painting rather than a total stranger.  But if you want to remain friends you have little option.

Capetan Mihali

If I were you, I'd write in to the Slate advice column and then wait for Tim to repost it here for your answer.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 10, 2013, 06:55:32 PM
If I were you, I'd write in to the Slate advice column and then wait for Tim to repost it here for your answer.

Yeah that would probably be quicker than trying to figure out the borked quote function here.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2013, 08:06:16 PM

Yeah that would probably be quicker than trying to figure out the borked quote function here.

I agree
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on December 10, 2013, 08:16:31 PM

I agree

:D

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2013, 03:19:18 PM
:nelson:Give her the painting while reminding her that she should treat her friends with more consideration and less cynicism (don't be a condescending ass about it, though).

If she doesn't give a heartfelt apology in return, you're better off with this one less friend.

Yeah.

If she's of value as a friend, she won't demand it. You can always give it over later or offer to sell it and split the earnings.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2013, 08:25:09 PM
Quote from: PDH on December 10, 2013, 08:16:31 PM

I agree

:D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Pedrito

Yesterday evening I went to my friend's home with the painting. She was startled, and I told her:

- I took the painting to avoid that some stranger would take it;
- I've even restored it, scraping away the plaster glued to the back of the frame;
- I was expecting a reward for my good deeds, at least in the form of an invite for dinner

I was tempted to make her wait and suffer some more days, but in the end it's Christmas time and everyone's nice, isn't it?  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Richard Hakluyt

Well played, she must feel like shit now  :cool:

Pedrito

That was not my primary desire, but she deserves a bit of feeling shitty  :D

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom