News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada and the U.S. Should Merge, Eh?

Started by OttoVonBismarck, December 08, 2013, 01:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 09, 2013, 12:47:00 PM
If a majority of people think in kilometers and such, then switch the signs. Until then, there is no reason to do so.
Kinda circular argument here.  The majority will never think in km if it ain't teached in schools instead of imperial system, and it won't be teached in schools because the government does not use it...

I'd say like Berkut, have the Government use metric exclusively, then the people will adapt.  Stores usings lbs instead of kg will fade away over the course of a generation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

I remember my teachers telling me back in the day that we'd be fully on the metric system by the 90s :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

I support the merger with Canada.
I have a weak spot for superpowerdom status and crushing China with Canadian made Stryker infantry carriers.

How can we work together towards this lofty goal of a North American Union?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2013, 01:40:09 PM
I remember my teachers telling me back in the day that we'd be fully on the metric system by the 90s :lol:

It is just a matter of everybody getting a proper science education.  SCIENCE!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2013, 03:08:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2013, 01:40:09 PM

It is just a matter of everybody getting a proper science education.  SCIENCE!

You are blinding me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2013, 12:55:39 PM

Yeah, a true political union would be unworkable.  No Canadian would want to give up their single payor health care system (other than perhaps BB) and few Americans would want to adopt the Canadian system.  Even if we could ever get past the numerous other issues, this would always be the deal breaker.

These are run by the provinces, right? No reason they'd be forced to get rid of them.

BTW--when non-metric stuff are used in Canada, is it Imperial or English?

The US has already adopted metric as much as possible, aside from changing road signs. Usually though, when somebody (especially youngsters on euot) says we should adopt metric, they actually mean we should ban everything else. Which is obviously never going to be feasible. I doubt anyone has ever done it that way. Do any European states have metric system enforcement police?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 09, 2013, 03:33:30 PM
These are run by the provinces, right? No reason they'd be forced to get rid of them.

It gets a bit confusing and involves a discussion of tax policy in this country.  Health care is a Provincial responsiblity but for the "have not provinces" funding for the system is subsidized through federal equalization payments which aim to have a minimum consistent level of health care access across the country.  In addition all provinces recieve a significant contribution from Federal tax dollars through other payment schemes under the Canada Health Act.  This is because although the Feds have limited constitutional areas of responsibility they also take in the greater share of tax dollars which need to be given back to the provinces through some mechanism so that the provinces can afford to run their areas of responsbility.

One point the Quebec separatists make that I agree with is that the Feds should collect less tax and let the Provinces collect that revenue directly to do what they will with those revenues.  The Conservatives have been moving slowly in the direction.  But the issue of Federal and Provincial tax points is an unwieldy beast at the best of times.

QuoteBTW--when non-metric stuff are used in Canada, is it Imperial or English?

Imperial.  We are as baffled by the English Stone as you are.

Agelastus

The US has already adopted metric as much as possible, aside from changing road signs. Usually though, when somebody (especially youngsters on euot) says we should adopt metric, they actually mean we should ban everything else. Which is obviously never going to be feasible. I doubt anyone has ever done it that way. Do any European states have metric system enforcement police?

:Raises hand:

Technically, anyway - since trading standards officers will go to markets and other places and make sure that traders are using metric scales.

Still, we all love metric in the UK...that's why we buy milk in 0.568l, 1.136l, 2.272l, and 3.480l sizes...

--------

I was born after our currency decimalised and metrication began.

I used metric in all my physics and chemistry lessons, as is only sensible.

I've never worked in an industry that still used Imperial Measures.

For all that I still have to convert weights of meat into pounds and ounces to get some mental idea of how much is really there that my brain and stomach will mutually agree with; I have never heard anyone ask for a metric weight in the local butcher, even though his scales have to be metric (he's doing the conversions in his head, no doubt.) For example, I ordered a Christmas Turkey the other week as a "12-14 pound" bird.

I think of my own weight in pounds and stone, not kilos. Despite having worked in manufacturing and export where all weights are metric as I noted above.

Distance is in miles (fortunately the signs still agree with me); ask me how may miles I can walk in an hour I can tell you - ask me how many kilometres and I have to convert (albeit with a simple calculation.)

Imperial measures are really quite resilient. And what I use in my personal life has never affected my work, so I fail to see what Berkut's issue is with the survival of Imperial or other traditional measures.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

I learned as a teen that there are seven grams in a quarter-ounce.

Drug culture for the win!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

FWIW, I was taught metric in school. I was not taught English measurements. That was in the 1980s.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2013, 11:07:08 AM
how is it based in the human body?

Think about it for a second.  One "foot?"

An inch is 1/12 of a foot, by definition, but is also about the distance between the first and second joints of an adult human index finger.  The gallon is the weight of eight pounds of wine (or similar drink), the largest size it was convenient for humans to lift and pour.  These measurements all varied over time and by country, as they were based on human convenience, not logic or a desire for absolute standards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

IIRC the yard was originally based on the length of an arm.

BTW, isn't hectare a metric measure?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2013, 05:07:55 PM
IIRC the yard was originally based on the length of an arm.

BTW, isn't hectare a metric measure?

One unit of heck.   :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

To correct what CC posted, all provinces receive Federal transfer money for healthcare and higher education, "have nots" or have is a false debate, as equalization payments aren't tied to this.

Equalization payments are a way to enforce Federal control over provincial spending, even though, by law, it isn't tied to anything special.  By simply changing the formula at will, the Feds will insure dominance a province and force it to comply to tis will.  The calculations change in 2005-2006, and changed again in 2008 to insure Newfoundland's vote.  And the Federal has decided to now change the way healthcare transfers are made, tying them to Canada's GDP growth with a minimum of 3%.

Alberta receives federal money for it's healthcare and education system, but under the equalization system, they need to give money back to the Feds so that no province could have a superior healthcare or university network while other provinces literally starve.  Say, you can't have a Massachussets and a Mississipi or Texas when it comes to healthcare and universities, theoritically, they should be at the same level.

Provinces run them according to Federal guidelines.   The worst of it is mandatory public healthcare. 

A doctor can't work for both public & private clinics, and many provinces have quota systems to avoid over-charges.  What that means is a surgeon operates 1-2 days and see patients the rest of the week and the surgical rooms are under-used.
A province can not charge anything for a service it already provides for free, so they can't even ask for a 5$ or 10$ fee when you go directly to the ER for a non emergency (such as going there to get pills for a cold or a virgnity certificate for your daughter).

However, public hospitals are free to subcontrats part of their work to private clinics, such as MRI.  And it's a shocker if an hospital rents its room to a private clinic, because God forbid we recuperate some costs out of underused facilities.

As if it's not confusing enough as it is  :glare:
Ah, I've seen both, but I think people mostly uses Imperial gallons when they talk of gallons.
20L = 5 gallons, I think it's Imperial?

QuoteThe US has already adopted metric as much as possible, aside from changing road signs. Usually though, when somebody (especially youngsters on euot) says we should adopt metric, they actually mean we should ban everything else. Which is obviously never going to be feasible. I doubt anyone has ever done it that way. Do any European states have metric system enforcement police?
Not banning, just using it everywhere for government purpose and mandatory teaching in classes.  All official government communications must be made in metric.  Eventually, people will adapt.

In Canada, it goes a step further in that stores must use metric, but are free to use any other measurement system aside.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
Think about it for a second.  One "foot?"
People aren't equal in foot size, IIRC.  Last time I bought a pair of shoes, there ware various sizes...

An inch is 1/12 of a foot, by definition, but is also about the distance between the first and second joints of an adult human index finger.
Ok, I suppose that can make sense.

QuoteThe gallon is the weight of eight pounds of wine (or similar drink), the largest size it was convenient for humans to lift and pour.
That is just silly.  Stronger humans can raise bigger cups, big drinker will have bigger cups compared to non drinkers.

These measurements all varied over time and by country, as they were based on human convenience, not logic or a desire for absolute standards.
wich is why it is antiquated.